An Elementary question for general physics

In summary, a college student enrolled in a general physics course is seeking help in finding the height of a sea cliff based on the sound of a rock dropping off it. The total time for the sound to be heard is 3.4 seconds, with a speed of sound of 340 m/s. The suggested approach is to express the total time as the sum of the time it took for the rock to fall and hit the water, and the time it takes for the soundwave to come back up.
James3
I know this probably should be in the K-12, but I'm in college and I am enrolled in a general physics course.

Okay, my question is if a rock drops off a sea cliff (note: NOT THROWN), and the sound of it when it hits the ocean water is heard 3.4 s later. And the speed of sound is 340 m/s. How high is the cliff? How do I figure this one out? :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, the total time for you to hear it will be the time it took for the rock to fall and hit the water + the time it takes the soundwave to come back up. Try expressing the total time as the sum of these two events, maybe you can work from there.

Hi there! No worries, it's totally fine to have questions about general physics even if you're in college. Physics is a subject that can be applied to many different levels and situations. Now, to answer your question, we can use the formula d = 1/2 * g * t^2, where d is the distance, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and t is the time it takes for the rock to fall. We know that the sound of the rock hitting the water is heard 3.4 seconds later, so we can plug that into the formula as t. This gives us d = 1/2 * 9.8 m/s^2 * (3.4 s)^2 = 56.24 m. This means that the cliff is approximately 56.24 meters high. I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

1. What is "An Elementary question for general physics"?

"An Elementary question for general physics" refers to a basic question that covers fundamental concepts and principles in physics. It is typically used as an introductory question to assess a person's understanding of basic physics concepts.

2. What topics are covered in "An Elementary question for general physics"?

"An Elementary question for general physics" can cover a wide range of topics, including motion, forces, energy, electricity, magnetism, and optics. The specific topics may vary depending on the context and level of the question.

3. Why is it important to know about "An Elementary question for general physics"?

Understanding "An Elementary question for general physics" is important because it forms the foundation for more advanced concepts in physics. It helps build a strong understanding of the basic principles and laws that govern the physical world.

4. How can I prepare for "An Elementary question for general physics"?

To prepare for "An Elementary question for general physics", it is important to have a solid understanding of basic physics concepts, such as motion, forces, energy, and electricity. Practice working through problems and equations related to these topics to improve your understanding and problem-solving skills.

5. Are there any resources available to help with "An Elementary question for general physics"?

Yes, there are many resources available to help with "An Elementary question for general physics". These can include textbooks, online resources, practice problems, and study guides. It may also be helpful to seek guidance from a teacher or tutor for additional support.