1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

An elevator question.

1. Oct 27, 2005 #1
    Hello there, for some reason I always found myself having trouble with elevator questions. Can you solve this problem and explain it briefly what's going on? I appreciate your kindness. Regards,

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2005 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

We won't solve problems here. Have you ever been in an elevator? As it goes up in this problem, its accelerating upwards. So you have that force acting on you along with gravity. Gravity alone puts your "mass" (although its not mass actually) at 65 kg so gravity + the acceleration of the elevator will give you a different "mass".

4. Oct 27, 2005 #3

Mk

Since the elevator is accelerating faster than you are, and inertia is wanting you to stay in the same state of motion you were in, you feel a force pushing you down. If you have ever ridden a roller coaster, accelerated quickly in a car, or just rode an elevator, you feel that force. This force, combined with the Earth's normal gravitational pull, will be pulling you down, while the elevator is going up.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?