How can I use torque and angular acceleration to trick a slot machine?

• Thread starter PseudoComplex
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a person presenting a potential physics problem involving angular acceleration and torque in a slot machine. However, the group concludes that the problem may not be feasible due to the unrealistic nature of the scenario. They also mention that slot machines are typically "rigged" and not a reliable source of fortune.
PseudoComplex
Hey, guys. Thanks for reading this.
I have to present some interesting angular acceleration problem in my physics class; please, tell me if this one is a good choice (if it's possible at all!). Something really bizarre, just made it up myself:

A gambler wants to trick a slot machine (old one, non-digital), applying certain calculated force on the lever, so as to get all the "fruits" on the reels. He knows all such values as angular acceleration, moment of inertia, etc. How to relate torque and angular acceleration here? In other words, how to develop this problem further? I know it's pretty unrealistic, but suppose we can neglect some facts for the purpose of entertainment.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Physics news on Phys.org
Even the old slot machines were "rigged". The wheels in a slot machine will come to a quick stop within a range of speeds, and appeared to be "programmed", unlike a roulette wheel, which is usually "unrigged".

Thank you, Jeff. I guess, it's not going to work out... In the case with a roulette weel, the whole problem would become far too complicated, unless I wanted to derive a formula for calculating fortune.

Still, that was very well explained. Cheers.

Last edited:
So where is this slot machine you're trying to break? :)

1. What exactly is an entertaining problem?

An entertaining problem is a type of puzzle or challenge that is designed to be engaging and enjoyable for the person trying to solve it. It may involve logic, math, or other problem-solving skills.

2. What makes a problem entertaining?

A problem can be considered entertaining if it is engaging and mentally stimulating. It should require some level of critical thinking and creativity to solve, and may also have an element of surprise or novelty.

3. Are there any benefits to solving entertaining problems?

Yes, solving entertaining problems can help improve cognitive skills such as problem-solving, critical thinking, and decision making. It can also be a fun and engaging way to exercise the brain and keep it sharp.

4. Where can I find entertaining problems to solve?

There are many resources available online for finding entertaining problems, such as puzzle websites, brain teasers, and educational platforms. You can also create your own entertaining problems or participate in group problem-solving activities.

5. Can anyone solve entertaining problems?

Yes, anyone can solve entertaining problems with practice and persistence. While some may have a natural talent for problem-solving, it is a skill that can be developed and improved upon with effort and determination.