Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

An equation about antimatter

1. May 15, 2009 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Haibara! :smile:

(have a gamma: γ and a mu: µ and a psi: ψ and try using the X2 and X2 tags just above the Reply box :wink:)

This is Dirac's equation for an electron (or any other spin-half particle), with hbar = c = 1 …

(iγµµ - m)ψ …

or, in full …

i(γ0∂ψ/∂x0 + γ1∂ψ/∂x1 + γ2∂ψ/∂x2 + γ3∂ψ/∂x3) = mψ

ψ is a 4-component vector, and the gammas are 4x4 matrices

Paul Dirac invented it around 1928, and used it to predict that the electron had an anti-particle (the positron, which is antimatter), which was discovered many years later. :smile:

For some more (but not very helpful :rolleyes:) detail, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirac's_equation

4. May 15, 2009 #3

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

here is a complete course in relativistic quantum mechanics

http://www.phys.ualberta.ca/~gingrich/phys512/latex2html/node20.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  5. May 15, 2009 #4
    tiny tim i got a question, i am a beginner in physics but i have being reading about the hypothetical neutralino the particle that is say to be the dark matter particle and my doubt is the annihilations between tem caused by the weak force.Thank you very much for your help.

6. May 15, 2009 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

erm :redface: … that's completely different …

please start a new thread :smile:

7. May 16, 2009 #6
    Thanks, that helped a lot!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook