1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

An example of a set

1. Aug 12, 2005 #1
    I want to know some examples of an infinite set S with a least upper bound that is not an accumulation point of S. Is this an example... (-oo, 10]?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2005 #2
    No, it's not. Every point in that set is an accumulation point of it.

An example is
    [tex] \left[0 , 1 \right] \cup \{ 2 \} [/tex].

edit: Another example is Z- ={-1,-2,-3,-4,-5...}, the set of negative integers. It's clearly infinite, bounded above, and does not have any accumulation points.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2005
  4. Aug 13, 2005 #3
    Hmmm, thank you for the help...

By the way, suppose I have Λ as my least upper bound of a set S but Λ is not in S. I want to know how this Λ is an accumulation point....

My friend told me that for any ε > 0, he can show that there is a point s belonging to S such that Λ - ε < s < Λ. To end up the proof, he used the definition of accumulation point... how do I prove this...? :D

5. Aug 13, 2005 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Suppose &Lambda; is a least upper bound of a set, A, but not in the set itself. Since &Lamba; is an upper bound for A, there are no members of A larger than &lambda;. Given &epsilon;> 0 suppose there were no members of A between &Lambda;-&epsilon; and &Lambda;. Then there would be no members of A larger than &Lambda;-&epsilon;. That means that &Lamba;-&epsilon; is an upper bound for A, contradicting the fact that &Lambda; is the least upper bound.

6. Aug 13, 2005 #5
    So the concept of accumulation point comes in here "Given ε> 0 suppose there were no members of A between Λ-ε and Λ. ...".

7. Aug 14, 2005 #6
    May I clarify something.... is this the proof for ( I have restated my problem) "Assume that Λ is the least upper bound of a set S but Λ is not in S. Show that Λ is an accumulation point of S" ?

8. Aug 14, 2005 #7
    Yes, you're right.

9. Aug 14, 2005 #8
    Ah.. ok.. I asked that because I thought the proof only shows that /\ is the least upper bound... and not that /\ is an accumulation point.

From the proof HallsofIvy stated, how did /\ turn out in the end to be an accumulation point (I apologize for being "slow")

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?