Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

An excellent time lapse movie

1. Apr 15, 2007 #1

I really like the airport scene.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2007 #2

Homework Helper

That is neat. Kind of mesmerizing.
  4. Apr 15, 2007 #3
    Cool, the planes landing and taking off looked interesting.
  5. Apr 15, 2007 #4
    :surprised Neato!
  6. Apr 15, 2007 #5
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2007
  7. Apr 15, 2007 #6
    Yeah they also have high res versions at the 599 productions website.
  8. Apr 15, 2007 #7
    Ironic that time lapse appears the same as fast forward. Here is Earth 12 months. I don't know what method was used.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  9. Apr 15, 2007 #8
    Ugh, you HAVE to watch the high res version, its breathtaking. The image quality is simply fantastic. Dont even bother looking at the Youtube.

I do have to complain though. They ruined what would be a great piece by stopping it right in the middle of the song.
  10. Apr 16, 2007 #9

I thought it was somewhat boring. It's just cars moving around, and planes in one.
  11. Apr 16, 2007 #10
    It shows the mechanization of the society that we live in, but at the same time it contrasts mechanization of nature herself. The cars are always shooting by, trying to go somewhere...then they go to the airport, as seen by the huge LAX. Then you see the airplanes doing their aerial dance, which finally goes to a scene of the stars moving around in their respective worlds.

Yet at the same time, it shows that life will pass you by if you don’t stop and take the time to appreciate it, which is exactly what this video does, in an ironic kinda way. It makes you appreciate the rush from an outsiders perspective.

Theres much more to it than 'cars going around and airplanes', but you have to open your mind to see it. And your interpretation of it will be different than mine, thats why its art. :smile:
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2007
  12. Apr 16, 2007 #11
    For me, been there done that, my dad had some films in the 80's made by a Japanese filmmaker which will leave you laughing,crying, and wondering all at the same time, using same technique only a factor of 10 more intense than this derivitave stuff.
  13. Apr 16, 2007 #12
    I was just watching it and thinking how it reminded me of a few moments I've spent in Warsaw, Boston, NYC, LA, etc. When I was rather young I never really considered how many people there were in the world, and still today I often forget. When I spend the night at a hotel near a tall building, I usually spend a good hour or two simply watching the building. There are a few moments during which I realize just how many people there are and that each single one of them has their own life. They each go to work and go on with their business. We all rush to do everything and don't even realize that there are tons of people doing the same thing. Yet we still think we are unique and that our worries matter.

This ^^ on top of what cyrus said.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?