Proving the Height of Tilted P After Rotation | Triangle Method

• Thread starter chris99191
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the height of point P above the floor after being tilted, using the formula h(cosb+2sinb). The conversation suggests dividing the diagram into triangles and using the angles and sums to products formula. The conversation also mentions using a horizontal line and the Z-shape in the figure to find subangles and solve for the height. The conversation ends with a graphic illustrating the steps and a question about finding subangles.
chris99191
1. For the diagram in the attachment, prove that the height of P above floor after being tilted is h(cosb+2sinb)

2. h(cosb+2sinb)

3. I think you need to divide them up into triangles and then use the angles for each as well as maybe using a sums to products formula

Attachments

• Proof.jpg
    Proof.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 399
Physics news on Phys.org
Let's call the bottom right point of the rectangle A, and the top left corner B, such that we are looking at rectangle OAPB.

In the rotated version, you can draw a horizontal line through A. Then, since OAP is a right angle, you can use the Z-shape in the figure to find the two subangles.
From there on it's basic geometry to find the height of B, and the difference in height between B and P.

Hopefully it is clear from the text what I meant. If not let me know, I can upload an image.

That sounds pretty good haha
except i don't understand where the z-shape is. Is it PA,AB and BO? and what do you mean by subangles

OK, here is the hint graphically.

Note the red line parallel to the horizontal line through O, and the angles marked in green.

Attachments

• z-angle.jpg
    z-angle.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 367
i feel stupid for asking this but what subangles should i now find

First of all, can you now find the height of the red line above the origin?

1. What is the "Triangle Method" for proving the height of a tilted P after rotation?

The Triangle Method is a mathematical approach used to determine the height of a tilted object after it has been rotated. It involves creating a right triangle with one side as the base of the object and the other side as its height. By using the Pythagorean Theorem and trigonometric functions, the height of the object can be calculated.

2. Why is it important to prove the height of a tilted object after rotation?

Proving the height of a tilted object after rotation is important in various fields such as engineering, architecture, and physics. It allows for accurate measurements and calculations, which are crucial for designing and building structures, predicting the behavior of objects, and conducting experiments.

3. What information is needed to use the Triangle Method?

To use the Triangle Method, you will need the measurements of the base and height of the tilted object, the angle of rotation, and knowledge of trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. It is also helpful to have a clear understanding of the Pythagorean Theorem.

4. Can the Triangle Method be used for any tilted object?

Yes, the Triangle Method can be used for any tilted object as long as the necessary information is available. It is a versatile method that can be applied to various shapes and sizes of objects, as long as they can be represented as a right triangle.

5. Are there any limitations to the Triangle Method?

The Triangle Method may not be suitable for objects with complex shapes or where the angle of rotation is not known. In these cases, other methods or techniques may be needed to determine the height of the tilted object. Additionally, the Triangle Method may not be as accurate for objects with very small or very large angles of rotation, as errors in measurement and calculation can affect the results.