What is the mass of each compound in the original mixture when heated to 700C?

In summary, when the 10.00 gram mixture is heated to 700C, both the Ca(ClO3)2 and Ca(ClO)2 decompose and release oxygen gas and solid CaCl_2. According to the balanced equations, 4 moles of O2 are released in total.
leolaw
I am stuck in this gas problem:
You are given a 10.00 gram solid mixture of [tex]Ca(ClO_3)_2[/tex] and [tex]Ca(ClO)_2[/tex]. When this mixture is heated, both componds decomplse, releasing oxygen gas and leaving behind solid [tex]CaCl_2[/tex]

When this 10.00gram mixture is sealed in a 10.0-Liter evacuated vessel and heated to 700C, both compounds completely decompose according to the above reactions. The final pressure in the vessel is 1.00atm. Determine the mass of each compound in the original mixture.

Ok. I have written out the balanced equation of the two substances:
[tex] Ca(ClO_3)_2 + O_2 --> CaCl_2 + 4O_2[/tex] and
[tex] Ca(ClO)_2 + O_2 --> CaCl_2 + 2O_2[/tex]

using the ideal gas law, i have found that the total [tex]O_2[/tex] collected is 0.1252 mol (V = 10L , T = 973K, P = 1.00atm)

so I have let x equal to the gram of [tex]Ca(ClO_3)_2[/tex] and y equal to the gram of [tex]Ca(ClO)_2[/tex], combine them toegether, I have:
x + y = 10

and then i found out the precentage of O2 that each substance produce, so I have another equation:
(0.0193) x + (0.0186) y = 0.1252

when i solve for x and y , i have x equal to -86 and y = 96, which obviously, is not possible?

Any clues on how to solve this probelm?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
From the way the problem is worded I think you equations should be

[tex] Ca(ClO_3)_2 --> CaCl_2 + 3O_2[/tex]
[tex] Ca(ClO)_2 --> CaCl_2 + O_2[/tex]

Lets assume you have 1 mol of each starting material. Then according to the balanced equations, after decomposition Ca(ClO3)2 will give off 3 moles of O2 and Ca(ClO)2 will give off 1 mole of O2 for a total of 4 moles of oxygen. In other words 3/4 of the total number of moles come from Ca(ClO3)2 and 1/4 of the total number of moles of O2 come from Ca(ClO)2. You found .1252mol of total oxygen, so 3/4th of that would be .0939 moles of O2 coming from Ca(ClO3)2 and 1/4ths of that would be .0313 moles of O2 that would be coming from Ca(ClO)2.

Using the balanced equations again-

0.0939 mol O2 x 1molCa(ClO3)2/3mol O2=.0313 mol Ca(ClO3)2
and
.0313 mol O2 x 1molCa(ClO)2/1mol O2=0.0313 mol Ca(ClO)2

Now to double check that you are right you can add up the moles of each substance in grams and you should get 10.0g.

mw of Ca(ClO3)2 206.98g/mol
and mw of Ca(ClO)2 is 142.98 g/mol

thus .0313 mol(206.98g/mol)+.0313mol(142.98g/mol)=10.0g (approximately due to rounding). So you know you have to be right

Yes, I have fixed up on the equation.
THx

1. What is an gas molecule problem?

An gas molecule problem refers to a scientific problem or question related to the behavior or properties of gas molecules. This could include topics such as gas laws, diffusion, or the behavior of gases in different environments.

2. What are some examples of gas molecule problems?

Examples of gas molecule problems could include questions about the ideal gas law, the behavior of gases in confined spaces, or the effects of temperature and pressure on gas molecules.

3. How do scientists study gas molecule problems?

Scientists study gas molecule problems through a variety of methods, including experiments, simulations, and mathematical models. They may also use specialized equipment such as gas chromatographs or mass spectrometers to analyze the behavior of gas molecules.

4. Why are gas molecule problems important to study?

Gas molecule problems are important to study because gases play a crucial role in our everyday lives and in many scientific processes. Understanding the behavior and properties of gas molecules can help us develop new technologies, improve industrial processes, and address environmental issues.

5. What are some potential solutions to gas molecule problems?

Solutions to gas molecule problems can vary depending on the specific problem being addressed. Some potential solutions could include adjusting temperature or pressure, using different gas mixtures, or developing new materials or technologies to contain or manipulate gases more effectively.