Can Recursive Formulas Help Solve Divergences in Perturbation Theory?

• Thread starter lokofer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Idea
In summary: For example, in the case of differential equations, we might set a limit on the size of the derivatives, or on the size of the coefficients. In summary, the author suggests that divergent expressions of a type :I(n)= \int_{0}^{\infty}dpp^{n} e^{- \epsilon p} can be expressed in a "recursive" form, where a,b,c,d,e,...,z are "finite" and real numbers. This is true, but the integral does not exist- it is infinite.
lokofer
Hello..compared to most people of this forum I'm just a "newbie"...:redface: but once i read (or i think) that to deal with perturbation theory it would be a good idea if the divergences of the type:

[tex] I(m)= \int_{0}^{\infty}dpp^{n} [/tex] n>1,n=0 or n<0 could be expressed in a "recursive" form for example if we could write:

[tex] I(m)=aI(m-1) +bI(m-2) +...+zI(0) [/tex]

where a,b,c,d,e,...,z are "finite" and real numbers..is that true?..i think in other forums heard a similar idea but i don't know if it worth working on it.

Physics news on Phys.org
The integral that you presented doesn't exist, i.e. it is infinite. You will have to clarify your question.

It's a mathematical formalism I'm not familiar with.

lokofer said:
Hello..compared to most people of this forum I'm just a "newbie"...:redface: but once i read (or i think) that to deal with perturbation theory it would be a good idea if the divergences of the type:

[tex] I(m)= \int_{0}^{\infty}dpp^{n} [/tex] n>1,n=0 or n<0 could be expressed in a "recursive" form for example if we could write:

[tex] I(m)=aI(m-1) +bI(m-2) +...+zI(0) [/tex]

where a,b,c,d,e,...,z are "finite" and real numbers..is that true?..i think in other forums heard a similar idea but i don't know if it worth working on it.
Hi, what you propose seems meaningful since the divergences on the right hand side are less harmful than the ones on the left hand side. To make it accurate, I guess you might want to substitute for :
[tex] I(n)= \int_{0}^{\infty}dpp^{n} e^{- \epsilon p} [/tex] for n > 0, for n < 0 you have to remove the pole at p=0 and take the limit for epsilon to zero at the end of your calculation.
Anyway, this is just one particular naive regularization procedure.

Cheers,

Careful

Last edited:
Careful's integral is simply n!(eps)-n-1, which becomes infinite as eps ->0.

This stuff hurts my head, but, I am fairly confident that summing up an infinite series of non-zero fractional entities does not necessarily result in infinity.

mathman said:
Careful's integral is simply n!(eps)-n-1, which becomes infinite as eps ->0.
Sure, I typed that in, but the latex didn't get through. In physics such divergent expressions occur all the time, and we can regularize them in such ways by putting in a cutoff of some kind.

What is a divergence in science?

A divergence in science refers to a phenomenon where two or more species or populations that were once similar begin to evolve and become increasingly different over time. This can happen due to various factors such as environmental changes, geographic separation, or genetic mutations.

What is the significance of divergences in scientific research?

Divergences in scientific research are significant because they provide evidence of evolution and the process of natural selection. They also help scientists understand how species adapt to their environments and how new species are formed.

How are divergences studied in science?

Scientists study divergences through various methods such as genetic analysis, fossil records, and observation of physical and behavioral characteristics. They also use computer simulations and mathematical models to understand the patterns and processes of divergences.

What are some examples of divergences in nature?

One of the most well-known examples of divergences in nature is the evolution of different species of finches on the Galapagos Islands. These finches have adapted to different food sources and environments, resulting in distinct physical characteristics and behaviors. Another example is the divergence of humans and chimpanzees from a common ancestor.

Can divergences be reversed?

In some cases, divergences can be reversed through processes such as hybridization and gene flow. However, in most cases, once a species or population has diverged significantly, it is unlikely to revert back to its original form. This is because divergences are driven by complex evolutionary processes and environmental factors that are difficult to reverse.