Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

An idea for improvement

1. Nov 14, 2003 #1
    Just an idea:

Why not put the homework help at the top of the different discussions? That way you may not see so many students posting homework questions to other forums. It took me a couple of visits to figure out it was there, so I am guessing I wasn't the only one.
    Cheers

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2003 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

A few more ideas...

Here are a few more ideas for improvement:

- Encourage people to post their questions in only one forum at a time! If they chose wrongly, have them ask a mentor to move it to the correct place.

- Encourage people to title their posts meaningfully. Too many posts are titled: Help! :smile: This makes it hard to remember what the thread is about.

- Encourage people to keep their question within a single thread. Sometimes, if no response is immediately forthcoming, someone will repost their question in a new thread. This leads to people answering the same basic question in different threads on the same forum. Confusion reigns!

4. Nov 18, 2003 #3

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Amen to that, Doc.
    We're on it...but with a great influx of new members recently, you'll need to expect some of that kind of thing to be present.

5. Nov 24, 2003 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Use of certain word/letter combinations has been blocked for use in user titles --- is it possible/convenient to block use of the word "help" in the HW post titles? Particularly with exclamation points, or "urgent."

6. Nov 25, 2003 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Interesting... What's blocked?

7. Nov 25, 2003 #6

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Things such as 'PF mentor' :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?