An illustration on the concept of money

• Thread starter H2Bro
  • Start date
What do you mean by "not a thing"? Seriously if you haven't read the book I linked in post 2 you probably want to if this stuff interests you.
I mean that the function of money is not a physical, distinct, locatable object you can point to and say "look, there it is," like you might do if you see someone using an axe or driving a car. The function is to embody a social relation, so to point at what money "does," you need to point at a social situation involving more than two people. But a dry description of the situation isn't enough, you need to include subjective understanding of the meaning of various items and actions in the situation to appreciate what money "does".

I think I will check out that book, it looks to be very interesting.

Ryan_m_b
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
It was hardly an appeal to authority as Evo wasnt saying she was right because her ex-boyfriend said so.

It was hardly an appeal to authority as Evo wasnt saying she was right because her ex-boyfriend said so.
Yes, you are right. It would be stubborn to argue for arguments sake about it. Thanks for the book reference Ryan, I will try to get hands on a copy from my library.

This stone story makes it very difficult to expand your economy. What if I invent something which...I don't know, makes it 10x easier to gather water and food? This would have a huge benefit on the economy, but unless someone prints more stones then it's not going to do anything.

Ryan_m_b
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
This stone story makes it very difficult to expand your economy. What if I invent something which...I don't know, makes it 10x easier to gather water and food? This would have a huge benefit on the economy, but unless someone prints more stones then it's not going to do anything.
Actually it doesn't make it difficult, it simply means it now costs less deeds to rocks to produce food nd water than before. If the cost is now less than one rock then simply start trading in lower denominations of rock like 1/10th, 1/20th etc. It's deflation basically and even though I don't really understand how bitcoin works I gather that this is inevitable for that popular service.

Last edited: