Materials Not Affected by Sulphuric Acid - Somy

• Thread starter somy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Important
In summary, sulphuric acid does not affect materials such as stainless steel, glass, and certain types of plastics. It can corrode metals by reacting with them and should not be stored in containers made of materials that are affected by it. To protect materials from sulphuric acid, they can be coated with acid-resistant materials or made from materials that are not affected by it. Sulphuric acid can be harmful to humans and proper precautions should be taken when handling it.
somy
An important question!

Hi everyone. I had an important question:
Can anyone teel me the materials (except glass!) that Sulphuric acid does not affect them.
Please help me!
Thanks.
Somy :smile:

Chemistry news on Phys.org
fluoropolymers

also some of http://ptcl.chem.ox.ac.uk/MSDS/glovesbychemical.html

Thanks Guybrush;
The link was very useful!

aswell as other polar substances

I know that aluminum doesn't react with H2SO4, which I found rather surprising...

What materials are not affected by sulphuric acid?

Some materials that are not affected by sulphuric acid include stainless steel, glass, and certain types of plastics such as polyethylene and polypropylene.

How does sulphuric acid affect metals?

Sulphuric acid can corrode metals by reacting with them and causing them to break down and form new compounds. This can weaken the structural integrity of the metal and lead to damage or failure.

Can sulphuric acid be stored in any type of container?

No, sulphuric acid should not be stored in containers made of materials that are affected by it, such as aluminum or carbon steel. It is best to store sulphuric acid in containers made of materials that are not affected by it, such as glass or certain types of plastics.

How can I protect materials from being affected by sulphuric acid?

One way to protect materials from being affected by sulphuric acid is to coat them with a layer of an acid-resistant material, such as Teflon or rubber. Another option is to choose materials that are not affected by sulphuric acid in the first place.

Is sulphuric acid harmful to humans?

Yes, sulphuric acid can be harmful to humans if it comes into contact with the skin, eyes, or is inhaled. It is important to handle sulphuric acid with caution and wear proper protective gear when working with it.