Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

An Impossible Solution

1. Oct 28, 2011 #1
    So, yesterday in class we were asked to try and solve the following problem:

Given a, b [itex]\in[/itex] R with a < b, draw the graph of an example of a continuous function f such that f: [a,b] [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] R, f(a) = f(b), and there does not exist c [itex]\in[/itex] (a, b) such that f'(c) = 0.

Now in class we arrived at the conclusion that there exists no such solution, however I beg to disagree.

Let's suppose that a = -1 and b = 1 which satisfies the inequality. Now for f(a) to = f(b) one function comes to mind, the associated power series:

f(x) = 1 + 2x + 4x2 + 8x3 + ... + 2nxn = [itex]\frac{1}{1-2x}[/itex]

Such that, f2(1) = 1 and f2(-1) = 1 therefore, f(a) = f(b).

= [itex]\frac{d}{dx}[/itex]([itex]\frac{1}{1-2x}[/itex])2

= ([itex]\frac{-4}{2x - 1}[/itex])3

Therefore, there does not exist f'(c) = 0

If we take the limit as x [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] [itex]\infty[/itex] then f'(x) = 0 however there is no particular element c of (a, b) s.t. f'(c) = 0.

My question is am I right? If not where did I go horribly wrong.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2011 #2
    Going too fast ?
    Differentiation that power series and see that at x=0
    f ' (x) = 0

4. Oct 28, 2011 #3
    I accidently posted before I finished lol.

5. Oct 28, 2011 #4

gb7nash

Homework Helper

This statement is indeed true.

I'm not sure why you're taking a limit as x goes to infinity. In any case, if you think the statement is wrong, you need to show there exists a c in (a,b) such that f'(c) = 0 for every f(x). Unfortunately, showing one example doesn't prove anything.

Consider the example f(x) = |x| and a = -1, b = 1. Does this satisfy the hypothesis? Is the conclusion satisfied?

6. Oct 28, 2011 #5
    Which statement is true? That there is no solution? Or that there is a solution?

7. Oct 28, 2011 #6

gb7nash

Homework Helper

This statement:

It is possible to construct an example of a continuous function f such that there does not exist a c [itex]\in[/itex] (a,b) such that f'(c) = 0. Consider f(x) = |x|.

8. Oct 28, 2011 #7
    f(x) is discontinuous at 0.

9. Oct 28, 2011 #8

gb7nash

Homework Helper

f(x) = |x| is continuous at x=0. However, it isn't differentiable at x=0.

10. Oct 28, 2011 #9
    Sorry, that's what I meant.

11. Oct 28, 2011 #10

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In your OP, f(x) = 1/(1-2x) is not continuous (in fact it is not even defined) when x = 1/2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook