Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

An impossible thought!

1. Feb 23, 2012 #1
    If another galaxy were to be travelling towards us at the speed of light and as well as the Milky Way being ripped apart or merged, our planet were to suffer a direct hit, we would never know about it! Gone in an instant!

Also, we would not know, or do not know, of the existence of such a galaxy because of its speed.

So, if this does not appear on this forum, it's already happened and none of us are here!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2012 #2
    Hi AncientBrit; welcome to PhysicsForums.
    Please consult the rules, specifically the section on Overly Speculative Posts.

No massive objects can travel at the speed of light---especially a galaxy. The relative velocities between galaxies tends to be fairly moderate---generally 100's of km/s---and far below the speed of light.

4. Feb 23, 2012 #3
    If I were to become the supreme being of all the multiverse and then erase all of humanities memories and it wasnt on this forum then its already happened!

Also this could mean.... sorry I got distracted by the blue and yellow spotted dwarf piglet flying past the window.

Please dont post rubbish. **Awaits thread locking**

5. Feb 23, 2012 #4
    I wasn't aware that people trolled on PF. Hah

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook