An inclined planeUP or DOWN?

• Thread starter alwysnforevr002
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inclined
In summary, the conversation is discussing the motion of a ball on an inclined plane and the equation used to describe it. The question is then raised about which quantity must have a value of zero in this scenario. The speaker also mentions their confusion and asks for further clarification.
alwysnforevr002
Is the motion of a ball on an inclined plane mean the ball is going up the inclined plane or down the inclined plane?

The question goes as follows

The motion of a ball on an inclined plane is described by the equation . Which of the following quantities must have a value of zero?
xi
xf
vi
tf

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay let me start over. This question is confuzing me.
If i can figure out what it means than i already know the answer. I am simply looking for a further explanation. Basically the question is

The motion of a ball on an inclined plane is described by the equation DeltaX = 1/2(acceleration(delta t)(squared))
Which of the following quantities must have a value of zero?
xi
xf
vi
tf

NOW, my problem is that i don't know if the "inclined plane" is a plane starting from the top and then going down or starting from the bottom and going up.

I hope that is bit more clear. i apologize for the mess

The question is poorly presented to you, if that is the exact wording. Start the ball at the top of the inclined plane with some initial velocity, then nothing is zero. Ask you professor for a better problem statement. But be polite when you ask, unless you are already an A student aceing the class. Then poke some fun at him/her. :rolleyes:

alwysnforevr002 said:
Which of the following quantities must have a value of zero?
xi
xf
vi
tf
And even if the ball is started up the inclined plane with some initial velocity, none of the quantities above would be zero. The only zero would come from when the ball's velocity slowed to zero and reversed itself due to gravity (easiest calc is PE(zero velocity) = KE(initial)).

Thank you. I will make sure to look that up. For now I have to pick the best answer and i think that would be initial velocity.

alwysnforevr002 said:
Thank you. I will make sure to look that up. For now I have to pick the best answer and i think that would be initial velocity.
Like if it starts at rest on an inclined plane? Hmmm, that would seem to work. I didn't think of that.

What is an inclined plane?

An inclined plane is a flat surface that is tilted at an angle. It is used to move objects between different heights, making it easier to lift heavy objects.

How does an inclined plane work?

An inclined plane works by reducing the amount of force needed to move an object. The longer and less steep the plane, the easier it is to move the object up or down.

What is the difference between an inclined plane going up or down?

An inclined plane going up requires more force to move an object against gravity. On the other hand, an inclined plane going down reduces the amount of force needed to move an object.

What are some real-life examples of an inclined plane?

Some real-life examples of an inclined plane include ramps, slides, and stairs. They are commonly used in construction, transportation, and playgrounds.

How can an inclined plane be beneficial in daily life?

An inclined plane can make it easier to move heavy objects, such as furniture or equipment, up or down a slope. It also allows individuals with limited mobility to access different levels without the use of stairs.