Comparing DC to AC: Is A Always Correct?

• Thread starter hidemi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ac Dc
In summary: The current does lag the voltage in phase, but not by π/4. The lag is about 2π. Notice that in an AC circuit the voltage and current are always in phase (in a sense).
hidemi
Homework Statement
An inductor produces a back emf in a DC series RL circuit when a switch connecting the battery to the circuit is closed. we can explain this by,

A) Lenz's law
B) increasing magnetic flux within the coils of the inductor
C) increasing current in the coils of the inductor
D) all of the above
E) only (A) and (C) above.

The answer is D.
Relevant Equations
Maxwell equations:
(See better interpretations at "Attempt at a Solution" section)
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/282071
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/282072

If the question changes DC to AC, the correct answer would be just A right?
The reason why (B) and (C) are wrong is that the current keeps changing direction and doesn't remain constant throughout for the coil to store energy to eventually hit the maximum. Any other better explanations?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's true that the magnetic flux and current aren't monotonically increasing in an AC inductor, but they lag in phase and so continue to "oppose" the circuit

onatirec said:
It's true that the magnetic flux and current aren't monotonically increasing in an AC inductor, but they lag in phase and so continue to "oppose" the circuit
I thought the current lags the voltage by π/4 phase? I do agree that it oppose the circuit clockwise/counterclockwise interchangeably

hidemi said:
Homework Statement:: An inductor produces a back emf in a DC series RL circuit when a switch connecting the battery to the circuit is closed.
Closed? Did you mean to say "opened"?

berkeman said:
Closed? Did you mean to say "opened"?
The book says 'closed'

hidemi said:
The book says 'closed'
When the DC circuit is initially closed and current starts flowing - this makes sense.

I meant they (as in the inductors) lag in phase. You are right; it is the current that lags.

Well technically it produces a "back" emf to any change in current (meaning the emf tries to oppose the change). Notice that in an LR configuration the change in the current is proportional to the existing current...this makes "off" a more exiting event

Likes hidemi and berkeman
My point was that the problem statement is physically consistent and there's no reason to think the switch should be 'opened' instead of 'closed'

hutchphd said:
Notice that in an LR configuration the change in the current is proportional to the existing current
Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I don't agree with this as written. For one, when the circuit goes from open -> closed, the existing current is 0A. How could the change be proportional to 0?

Likes hidemi
You are correct and I was being sloppy.

1. What is the difference between DC and AC electricity?

DC (direct current) electricity flows in one direction, while AC (alternating current) electricity changes direction periodically. DC is commonly used in batteries and electronic devices, while AC is used for power distribution in homes and buildings.

2. Is one type of electricity always better than the other?

It depends on the application. DC is more efficient for certain devices, such as electronic circuits, but AC is better for long-distance transmission of electricity. Both have their own advantages and disadvantages.

3. Can DC and AC be converted into each other?

Yes, they can be converted using a device called an inverter. This is commonly used to convert DC from a battery into AC for household appliances.

4. Are there safety concerns with using DC or AC?

Both DC and AC can be dangerous if not handled properly. However, AC is considered more dangerous because it can cause muscle contractions and heart problems at lower voltages compared to DC.

5. Which type of electricity is more commonly used in our daily lives?

AC is more commonly used in our daily lives because it is more efficient for long-distance transmission and can easily be converted to different voltages. Most household appliances and electronic devices also use AC electricity.