Conservation of Momentum in Inelastic Collisions

In summary, the steel ball has a total of 2000kg of momentum just before it collides with a 1000kg car.
sauri
Can anyone help me with this?

A steel wrecking ball of mass 200kg is fastned to a 10m long chain which is fixed at the far end to a crane. The ball is released when the chain is horizontal. At the bottom of the path the ball strikes a 1000kg car initally at rest on a frictionless surface. The collision is completely inelastic so that the ball and car move together just after the collision. What is the speed of the ball and car just after the collision.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would be glad to, but according to the rules you need to demonstrate some effort in attempting to solve the problem first.

sure, but I have this notion that the mgh before collision should be equall to the mv^2/2 after collision. because it is inelatic.
So mgh=mv^2/2
200*9.8*10=1000*v^2/2
and we solve for v..
is this the correct way?

Using the law of conservation of momentum

Could you explain that a bit futher?. How can I use the conservation of momentum?. is it not the use of the GPE=1/2mv^2?

You can calculate the potential energy of the ball at the start and so find the kinetic energy, speed, and momentum of the ball just before the collision. Set momentum of car and ball together after the collision equal to that.

So then mgh=1/2mv^2 and that will equal mv. (200*9.8*10=1/2(200)*v^2). So we can find v just before the collison. Then the kinetic energy=momentum(mv) before collision. This will = momentum after collision. i.e mv of car + mv of ball. [(1000*v)+(200*v)]. Is this correct?

sauri said:
So then mgh=1/2mv^2 and that will equal mv. (200*9.8*10=1/2(200)*v^2). So we can find v just before the collison. Then the kinetic energy=momentum(mv) before collision. This will = momentum after collision. i.e mv of car + mv of ball. [(1000*v)+(200*v)]. Is this correct?

NO! Kinetic energy does NOT equal momentum , they are entirely diffderent! You need to work out the velocity of the ball just before collison using:
[tex]v = \sqrt{2gh}[/tex]
So the momentum of the recking ball is given by;
[tex]P = m\sqrt{2gh}[/tex].

The total amount of momentum must remain constant. Can you take it from there?

1. What is an inelastic collision?

An inelastic collision is a type of collision where kinetic energy is not conserved. This means that some of the kinetic energy is lost during the collision and is converted into other forms, such as heat or sound.

2. How is an inelastic collision different from an elastic collision?

In an inelastic collision, kinetic energy is not conserved and some energy is lost. In an elastic collision, kinetic energy is conserved and no energy is lost. This means that in an elastic collision, the objects involved bounce off each other, while in an inelastic collision, they stick together or deform.

3. What factors affect the amount of energy lost in an inelastic collision?

The amount of energy lost in an inelastic collision depends on the materials and shapes of the objects involved, as well as the speed and angle of the collision. Objects made of softer materials, such as rubber, tend to lose more energy in an inelastic collision compared to objects made of harder materials, such as steel.

4. Can an inelastic collision occur between two objects of different masses?

Yes, an inelastic collision can occur between objects of different masses. In this type of collision, the lighter object will experience a greater change in velocity compared to the heavier object. However, the total momentum of the system will still be conserved.

5. What are some real-life examples of inelastic collisions?

Inelastic collisions are common in everyday life. Some examples include a car crash, a ball hitting the ground and bouncing, a person falling onto a mattress, and a baseball hitting a catcher's mitt. In these examples, some energy is lost during the collision due to the deformation or sticking together of the objects involved.