Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

An Instructor's Nightmare

1. Jan 4, 2007 #1

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

When I walked into my Optics class for the first day of class this morning, I found that the publisher had put out a new edition of the textbook (which I've been using for years) without telling me! :eek:

Fortunately the old chapter 3 (where I always started) seems to be the same as the new chapter 2, so at least the first couple of weeks will require minimal adjustment.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2007 #2

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

...so your students have the new edition?

Contact your textbook representative and request desk copies of the new edition and its supplements.

Hopefully the changes in the new edition are significant... rather than a glossy overhaul with little change in content. I don't mind good "old editions", especially if they are reasonably priced [new or used].

4. Jan 4, 2007 #3

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm convinced that most new editions these days are just mixing the book up a little to prevent people from reselling (or worse, pirating) the old editions.

- Warren

5. Jan 4, 2007 #4

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

.. that or adding probably useless supplements [study guides, CDs, online access].

(I haven't been impressed by the supplements I've seen bundled with most new textbooks. Such supplements might be worth it if they were tightly-integrated with the textbook content.)

6. Jan 4, 2007 #5

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Same here. For instance, I don't see any other conceivable reason why a lower-division math/science textbook would be on its 6th edition 6 years after its first, unless it's so horrible it had to be changed so many times. And if it's the latter, it'd be wise to stay clear of such a book.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?