1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

An integral relation

1. Dec 7, 2005 #1
    Hi, I'm stuck on the following question.

Q. Let f(x,y,z) and g(x,y,z) be C^2 scalar functions. Let D be an elementary region in space and [tex]\partial D[/tex] be the closed surface that bounds D. Prove that:

[tex]
    \int\limits_{}^{} {\int\limits_{}^{} {\int\limits_D^{} {\nabla f \cdot \nabla g} } } dV = \int\limits_{}^{} {\int\limits_{\partial D}^{} {f\nabla g \cdot d\mathop S\limits^ \to } } - \int\limits_{}^{} {\int\limits_{}^{} {\int\limits_D^{} {f\nabla ^2 } gdV} }
    [/tex]

I've had practice doing some identity problems involving grad, div and curl. In those questions I've just started with the definition and have usually managed to get to the required result. However, I don't know where to start with this one. I can't think of any theorems which I could use to get things going. Can someone please help me get started? Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2005 #2

StatusX

Homework Helper

This is a higher dimensional analog of integration by parts, which is the integral form of the differential product rule. See if a product rule helps you here.

4. Dec 7, 2005 #3
    Thanks for the hint StatusX, I'll see what I can come up with.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?