1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

An integral with a fraction in it-need help finding the antiderivative

1. May 6, 2008 #1
    An integral with a fraction in it--need help finding the antiderivative

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have the integral [tex]\int(\frac{20}{1+x^2} - 2)dx[/tex] where x = ± 3. To solve, I need to find the antiderivative of [tex]\frac{20}{1+x^2} - 2[/tex]

Now, the worksheet actually gives the answer to the problem: The antiderivative is 37.961 or 37.962. However, I'm having trouble actually reaching that answer on my own; I have trouble with the antiderivatives of fractions.

2. Relevant equations

Lessee... I know that the antiderivative of 1/x is ln x. When it gets any more complex than that I get confused.

3. The attempt at a solution

First, I took [tex]\int(\frac{20}{1+x^2} - 2)dx[/tex] and turned it into [tex]\int(20(1+x^2)^-^1 - 2)dx[/tex]

Then, I tried to take the antiderivative. I thought it would be: [tex]20ln(1+x^2)-2x.[/tex]

Then I plugged in the x values, 3 and -3. With positive 3 plugged in, it came out to 40.052, with a negative 3 it came out to 52.052. I don't even have to finish it off with the subtraction to know that my final answer isn't right and that I missed a step (or two) somewhere. Only question is: What step did I miss? I have a feeling I was supposed to do something with the 20... And I think that there might have been more to taking the antiderivative of (1+x^2)^-1 then just turning it into a natural logarithm. Would someone please help me figure out what I forgot?

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2008 #2

Vid

Try a trig sub or look up derivatives of inverse trig functions.

4. May 6, 2008 #3

Defennder

Homework Helper

If you're using a trigo substitution, you may want to use this:
    [tex]tan^2\theta + 1 = sec^2\theta[/tex]

That should help you.

5. May 6, 2008 #4
    Don't be a victim of universal logarithmic differentiation!

[tex]\int\frac{20}{1+x^2}dx[/tex] doesn't equal [tex]20*ln|1+x^2|+c[/tex]

Last edited: May 6, 2008
  6. May 6, 2008 #5
    If you haven't touched trig int before:

let x = tanu
    dx = tanu.secu

substitute these values for x and dx

7. May 6, 2008 #6
    Oh hush! We all know it's 20arctanx - 2x! Cut the kid some slack!

The reason the natural logarithm didn't work was because you need the derivative of the denominator in the numerator. The derivative of 1+x^2 is 2x, and as you can see, it ain't there.

8. May 6, 2008 #7
    I didn't know it three-four years ago :shy:...:cry:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?