Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

An integration method

1. Oct 10, 2004 #1
    I was flipping through "Surely you're joking, Mr. Feynman" and I came across something he said that I'm curious about. I'll go ahead and quote it:

"The book showed how to differentiate parameters under the integral sign - it's a certain operation. It turns out that's not taught very much in the universities; they don't emphasize it. But I caught on how to use that method, and I used that one damn too again and again."

My question is, what method is he referring to? I'm only in vector cal, so I don't know if it's a method that is associated with higher-level mathematics, or if it's just something that I've "learned" and forgotten or what. So if anyone could enlighten me as to this method, how it's done, when it's used, etc., I'd be much appreciative. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2004 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your quote refers to differentiating parameters under the integral sign. I am not sure what else could be meant.

4. Oct 10, 2004 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The only thing I could think of was "Leibniz's rule" which certainly is taught, sometimes in both advanced Calculus and Differential Equations courses (where it is used extensively):
    [tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\int_{\alpha(x)}^{\beta(x)}f(x,t)dt= \int_{\alpha(x)}^{\beta(x)}\frac{\partial f(x,t)}{\partial x}dt + \frac{d\alpha(x)}{dx}f(x,\alpha(x))- \frac{d\beta(x)}{dx}f(x,\beta(x))[/tex]

(thanks, arildo!)

Alright, already! Is it good now? You know I can't be worried about little thing like one more or less "dt". (And "Liebniz" and "Lagrange" were really the same guy weren't they!) :smile:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2004
  5. Oct 10, 2004 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

"Lagrange's rule"?
    That's odd; I know it as "Leibniz' rule"..

6. Oct 10, 2004 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Wow, you're fast! I hadn't finished editing!

7. Oct 10, 2004 #6

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Well, it could just be one rule you were referring to, whatever shape you first presented it in..:wink:
    Note:
    You have a sign flaw in the upper&lower limit differentiations.

8. Oct 10, 2004 #7

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And there should be a dt in there somewhere...

And to be fully general there needs to be limits sprinkled into there somehow...

9. Oct 11, 2004 #8

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I (almost..:wink:) hate to be picky, but I prefer it this way:
    [tex]\frac{d}{dx}\int_{\alpha(x)}^{\beta(x)}f(x,t)dt= \int_{\alpha(x)}^{\beta(x)}\frac{\partial f(x,t)}{\partial x}dt + \frac{d\beta(x)}{dx}f(x,\beta(x))- \frac{d\alpha(x)}{dx}f(x,\alpha(x))[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?