1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

An interesting limit

1. Oct 20, 2008 #1
    I was having a debate with a friend about how to show the following limit.

[tex] \lim_{n \to \infty} \cos( \frac{2 \pi}{2n - 2} )^n = 1 [/tex]

I claim that you can just hand-wavingly say that since cosine of 0 is 1, and 1^infinity is 1, the limit is 1. He claims I need to show this using some sort of limit theorem (I don't want to get into delta-epsilons).

Is there a cool limit theorem I can use?I

Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2008 #2

statdad

Homework Helper

Your latex didn't compile - at least I can't see it. Could/would you repost?

i just tried getting your code - is this your problem?

[tex]
    \lim_{n \to \infty} \cos( \frac{2 \pi}{2n - 2} )^n = 1
    [/tex]

okay, my version of the latex didn't take. is there a general problem with the new server setup?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  4. Oct 20, 2008 #3

gel

No, the limit would not be 1 if you replaced the exponent by n^2 (what would it be?). You could take logarithms and apply L'hopitals rule and use cos(0)=1, cos'(0)=0.

5. Oct 20, 2008 #4
    Using L'Hopitals rule I can show that \lim_{n \to \infty} \ln f(n) = 0, where f(n) is the original cosine function. If the limit of the \ln is the \ln of the limit, then I am content. Am I misunderstanding what you mean by "take logarithms"?

Thanks for the idea!

6. Oct 20, 2008 #5

gel

yes. To rigorously finish off the proof you can take the exponential and use the fact that the exponential of a limit equals the limit of the exponentials - because exp is a continuous function.

7. Oct 20, 2008 #6
    Excellent, I understand. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?