Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

An Interesting Limit.

1. Mar 18, 2012 #1
    I've recently been confronted with the limit as n goes to 0 of sin([itex]\pi[/itex]*n/4)*[itex]\Gamma[/itex](x) , and have no idea on how to confront the problem, as I have little familiarity with the gamma function. Is there any relatively easy ways to prove this, or at least ways that use methods not difficult to learn? I would very much like to see a proof, as wolfram alpha gives a answer of [itex]\pi[/itex]/4, and the answer is important relating to some very interesting alternating series.
    edit 2: Wow, I haven't solved this problem, but if wolfram alpha is right, soon I'll be summing alternating series never summed before :) Well, ones I've never seen summed before at least...

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2012 #2

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

##\lim_{n \to 0} \sin(\frac{\pi n}{4}) \Gamma(x) = \sin(0)\Gamma(x) = 0##...

4. Mar 23, 2012 #3

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I suspect there is a typo in the original question - it should be Γ(n), not Γ(x).

5. Mar 23, 2012 #4
    It's actually quite easy. You know that the gamma function satisfies the functional equation [itex]\Gamma(x+1) = x \Gamma(x)[/itex], so then:

[tex]\begin{align*} \lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \sin (\pi x/4) \Gamma(x) &= \lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin(\pi x/4) \Gamma(x+1)}{x} \\ &= \left( lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin(\pi x/4)}{x} \right) \left( \lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \Gamma(x+1) \right) \\ &= lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin(\pi x/4)}{x}\end{align*}[/tex]

Where the last equality follows from the fact that [itex]\Gamma[/itex] is continuous and [itex]\Gamma(1) = 1[/itex]. But then by L'hopital's rule:

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin(\pi x/4)}{x} = \lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{\pi}{4} \cos (\pi x/4) = \frac{\pi}{4}[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook