Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

An interesting question about the skin effect

1. Nov 1, 2016 #1
    Hey, guys. There is something interesting about the skin effect, which also made me curious:wink:. Could you please help to solve it?
    The following is what I got from Wiki.

It is said that, according to theory of induction, induced current would oppose the change of magnetic field. Then when current increases in the upward direction, the outward induced current would be formed. However, when current decreases in the upward direction (you know this is AC current), then it seems induced current would change into inward direction so as to maintain magnetic field. If it is the case, the "skin effect" would change into "core effect". However, why does this never come true?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2016 #2

Baluncore

Science Advisor

The speed of magnetic field propagation in a good conductor is very slow, not much better than walking speed. The magnetic field diffuses into the conductor, but does not get very far because the surface AC current reverses and quickly cancels the previous half cycle. The core ends up with an average of zero field.

Instead of EMF and a Back EMF, think of a Counter-Current, being the image of the surface current seen reversed in the reflective surface of the conductor. That is what keeps energy on the surface and limits diffusion into the conductor.

A surface current causes a magnetic field at 90°. That magnetic field causes another current at a further 90°. Turning left twice is equivalent to reversing direction.

4. Nov 2, 2016 #3
    There is a fundamental difference between the electric field produced by electrostatic potential difference and the electric field produced due to dB/dt. The latter is non-conservative and circular in nature.It acts on the charge carriers perpendicular to the drift velocity in a clockwise direction or anticlockwise directions. Both ways the charge carriers get pushed away from the axis of the conductor to the periphery.

5. Nov 2, 2016 #4

anorlunda

Staff: Mentor

I once saw a graphic here on PF illustrating @Baluncore 's point. But I can't find it today.

In the graphic in the OP, the red circles are eddy currents. Imagine them with much smaller radii near the surface.

1/120 second later: those eddies will move toward the core and be weakened by resistive losses, and a new set of eddies rotating the opposite way will be formed on the surface. The new and old eddies try to cancel each other.

Over several cycles we will have many layers of (alternate direction, but weakening) eddies moving toward the core.

Skin effect is stronger for higher frequencies. It is a race between the frequency of current reversal versus speed of propagation of the eddies toward the core.

6. Nov 2, 2016 #5
    Sorry, I was confused. What do you mean? In clockwise direction, the inner current seems to be propelled to outside. However, in anticlockwise direction, the condition is reversed. Why are charge carriers pushed away in both conditions? Could you please state it a little more clearly?

7. Nov 2, 2016 #6
    I really hope I can see that graph. I am trying to imagine your described image and connect it with my question. If you can find it or come up with other possible explanations, please write it down here. I will feel very appreciative for it.

8. Nov 2, 2016 #7
    Suppose a charge carrier is drifting parallel to axis at some distance from it suppose it gets acted upon by a circular electric field normal to the axis whether clockwise or anticlockwise will the distance from the axis will increase or not?

9. Nov 2, 2016 #8

Baluncore

Science Advisor

10. Nov 2, 2016 #9

Baluncore

Science Advisor

Attached are a couple of good references to magnetic field diffusion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted