An interesting test: Do you think like a psycopath?

In summary, the conversation discusses a story about a girl who met a man at her mother's funeral and fell in love with him. However, she was unable to find him after the funeral. A few days later, the girl killed her sister. When asked about her motive, some suggest that she did it to see the man again, while others believe it was for the inheritance or because she couldn't find another way to talk to the man. It is also mentioned that the story may be part of a psychological test to see if someone thinks like a psychopath.
Grizzlycomet
This is an authentic psychological test. It is a story about a girl. While at the funeral of her mother, she met a man whom she did not know. She thought he was amazing, her dream guy, and she fell in love with him but never asked for his number and could not find him after the funeral. A few days later the girl killed her sister.

Question:

What is her motive in killing her sister?

Give it some thought, then post your reply. I'll give you the answer later, so everyone has time to respond.

Physics news on Phys.org
So she could see the guy again.

Hmm. I don't see that the story as you told it gives any clues whatever. It doesn't even indicate if killing her sister was deliberate or accidental.

Grizzlycomet said:
This is an authentic psychological test. It is a story about a girl. While at the funeral of her mother, she met a man whom she did not know. She thought he was amazing, her dream guy, and she fell in love with him but never asked for his number and could not find him after the funeral. A few days later the girl killed her sister.

Question:

Give it some thought, then post your reply. I'll give you the answer later, so everyone has time to respond.
maybe she thought her sister slept with that guy, she phoned to her sister and instead hearing her voice she heard his voice.

Thinking in extreme terms, she could have associated the intense feeling of falling in love with the traumatic experience of losing a dear one. To get back the associated feeling of comfort, she kills her sister.

the man was her sister's new boyfriend

To avenge her misfortune.
there is seemingly insufficient data to determine why she killed her sister.

I believe that Jimmy is right. Look at the facts.

1) She met the man at her mother's funeral.

2) She does not know how to reach him.

If she kills another family member, it is likely that he will also attend the funeral, or at least that is what she hopes.

She was willing to kill her own sister in the hopes that he would show up as he had when her mother died.

The motive is obvious, killing her sister was the only way she could think of to be able to see him again.

Obviously you people are unable to think like a psychopath. :tongue:

Last edited:
Evo said:

If she kills another family member, it is likely that he will also attend the funeral, or at least that is what she hopes.

She was willing to kill her own sister in the hopes that he would show up as he had when her mother died.

The motive is obvious, killing her sister was the only way she could think of to be able to see him again.

what logic... :biggrin: :eek:

We've all heard that joke before. Jimmy got it.

Evo said:

Or use a search engine. :cool:

It doesn't really test to see if you think like a psychopath though. Prefacing it by saying it is a test to see if you think like a psychopath ruins it.

The best way to do the test is to just tell the story, and stop before mentioning that she kills her sister. Then ask for easy ways to find the guy.

Njorl

The mystery man she fell in love with was her closet transvestite sister.

The Answer

The answer is: Because she was hoping the man would appear at her sister's funeral. If this was your answer as well... You think like a psycopath (no offence folks :rolleyes: ).

Njorl said:
It doesn't really test to see if you think like a psychopath though. Prefacing it by saying it is a test to see if you think like a psychopath ruins it.

The best way to do the test is to just tell the story, and stop before mentioning that she kills her sister. Then ask for easy ways to find the guy.

Njorl
You are probably right about this. Unfortunately, this possibility did not occur to me :frown: .

Evo said:

Thats what I actually thought for a reason - the guy attended her mother's funeral, so he was a family friend. Supposedly by taking out another close family member he would attend again

I don't know.. I am not a psychopath but it sounds about right. Ohh.. the dark thoughts :devil:

That's just silly. You can ask someone else who was at the funeral who the man was. I think she killed her older sister because that was the only thing getting in the way of her receiving a huge inheritance.

why does that make her a psycopath though? has this occurred in her life more than once...eg killing an uncle if the sister didn't work? or perhaps not being able to talk to him at her sisters funeral resulted in teh killing of another...
but one murder? how is that the thoughts of a psychopath?

neurocomp2003 said:
why does that make her a psycopath though? has this occurred in her life more than once...eg killing an uncle if the sister didn't work? or perhaps not being able to talk to him at her sisters funeral resulted in teh killing of another...
but one murder? how is that the thoughts of a psychopath?
Her killing her sister doesn't make her a psychopath, being a psychopath leads her to kill her sister. A psychopath isn't defined by the number of people she kills.

Here's a story:

Billy and Timmy both had the same birthday. For his birthday, Billy got a go-kart, a new jacket, and an x-box, while Timmy got a basketball.

"Gee," said Billy, "I sure got a whole lot more stuff than you did Timmy."

To which Timmy replied, "At least I don't have leukemia."

---

I used to test my friends with that story - its about 50/50 - half the people who hear it think its funny while the other half think I'm sick.

I don't know exactly what this "tests" but I always thought people's responses were interesting.

Incidentally I think its pretty funny =D

MaxS said:
Here's a story:

Billy and Timmy both had the same birthday. For his birthday, Billy got a go-kart, a new jacket, and an x-box, while Timmy got a basketball.

---

I used to test my friends with that story - its about 50/50 - half the people who hear it think its funny while the other half think I'm sick.

I don't know exactly what this "tests" but I always thought people's responses were interesting.

Made me laugh out loud :rofl:

Last edited:
MaxS said:
Here's a story:

---

It's funny.

I mean, that's terrible.

No, it's funny.

Except for poor Billy, because he really does have leukemia. :frown: But he deserved it for being so mean to Timmy. :devil:

Grizzlycomet said:

Question:

In great hollywood tradition I contend that:

A)The guy was the Mother's lover.

B)Whilst dating the Mother, fell for one of her Daughters.

C)Kills the Mother in order to pursue a secret relationship with the Daughter.

D)At the Funeral, the Man and Daughter keep their distance and their relationship secret.

E)The other daughter, converses with the man, the man gives the impression he is un-attached and available?

D)After the funeral, the Daughter frantically askes relatives who the mysterious man is, as she is smitten by his charm.

E)When she inquire's to her 'sister' as to who the mystery man is, her sister retorts, he is my new boyfriend!..keep away!

F)Sister kills her 'sister' in a 'crime of rage'.

G)Daughter/sister is carted off to the asylum before the funeral of her sister in case she 'falls' in 'hate' of other family members who would be attending. :rolleyes:

Answer to OP question...Jealous Rage.

Last edited:
That's not hollywood, that's shakespear.

Smurf said:
That's not hollywood, that's shakespear.

It may be that in order to continue with a self-evaluation of one's ability to predict from a limited amount of information, I have re-evaluated my response. I now contend that there are other 'probable' cause and effects.

Lets examine the 'cause' of Mother death?

question:

1)Was her death natural?

2)Was the daugther responsible for the known killing, resident at a far away location, in another part of the country?

3)Was there any implication of the sister killed, having any infatuation with the mystery man?

4)What was the job of the 'sister' that killed her sister?..was her name clarice?

Of course one can also contend that the motive for one sister killing the other was :revenge?..rage?..love even?

All based on the answers to many speculative questions, but some facts must be known.

The OP having left out really important data, I now content that anything is possible, whilst the more facts about individuals would increase the probable cause..motive and resulting effect.

juvenal said:
Is this one of those lateral thinking puzzles, like the one where the guy eats an albatross then kills himself?

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/8295/lateral1.html

Woah...those lateral thinking puzzles are quite tough. Take a look at this one for example: A man is driving to work. He turns on the radio and knows that he will be going to prison. How does he know?

I immediately thought of the obvious of course, and was blown away by the originality of the solution given on the site.

The man is a DJ at the radio station. He had left a CD playing at the station and gone to kill his wife's lover, thinking he would have work as an alibi. However, after he kills the man and is then heading back to work, he hears the CD skipping on the radio...

^Highlight to see.

I reckon the man was a worker that helped with the funeral in some way, and in killing her sister, she would hope that he would perform his duty at her funeral too.

MaxS said:
Here's a story:

---

That's genuinely cruel. "Here take my basketball" I'd say.

recon said:
Woah...those lateral thinking puzzles are quite tough. Take a look at this one for example: A man is driving to work. He turns on the radio and knows that he will be going to prison. How does he know?

I immediately thought of the obvious of course, and was blown away by the originality of the solution given on the site.

^Highlight to see.

The thing with the lateral thinking puzzles is that they're often used as parlor games - one person knows the answer and everyone else asks yes or no questions to figure out the answer. You're not really expected to guess the answer off the bat.

recon said:

While a murder came across my mind, another "original" idea came forth.

The man is driving to prison because he ended up taking the wrong road to work, and learned of it from the traffic reports on the radio :rolleyes:.

I suppose that could work also. It would take the glamour out of the story though, if the guy was just going the wrong direction :uhh:.

some of those questions are just plain stupid - look at this one for example:

A man dies in a desert next to a large rock. There are no footprints in the sand, how did the man die?

Now, LOGICALLY the man just happened to die next to a large rock, and the wind blew the sand over his footsteps.

BUT NO, here is the "solution": The man is no ordinary man, but Superman and the rock is Kryptonite.

WTF lol truly stupid if you ask me.

What is a psychopath?

A psychopath is a person who has a personality disorder characterized by a lack of empathy, remorse, and guilt. They often exhibit manipulative and deceptive behavior and have a tendency towards impulsive and antisocial actions.

What is the purpose of the test?

The purpose of the test is to assess whether an individual exhibits traits and thought patterns commonly associated with psychopathy. It is not a diagnostic tool, but rather a way to gain insight into one's own thought processes.

How accurate is the test?

The test is not meant to be a definitive measure of psychopathy, as there is no single test that can accurately diagnose this complex disorder. However, the test has been developed and validated by experts in the field and can provide valuable information about one's thought patterns.

Can the test be used to diagnose psychopathy?

No, the test should not be used as a diagnostic tool. Only a trained mental health professional can properly diagnose psychopathy after a thorough evaluation.

What should I do if my results indicate psychopathic tendencies?

If you are concerned about your results or believe you may have psychopathic tendencies, it is important to seek professional help. A mental health professional can provide a proper evaluation and develop a treatment plan if necessary.