Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

An interesting test: Do you think like a psycopath?

1. Apr 28, 2004 #1
    This is an authentic psychological test. It is a story about a girl. While at the funeral of her mother, she met a man whom she did not know. She thought he was amazing, her dream guy, and she fell in love with him but never asked for his number and could not find him after the funeral. A few days later the girl killed her sister.

Question:

What is her motive in killing her sister?

Give it some thought, then post your reply. I'll give you the answer later, so everyone has time to respond.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2004 #2

jimmy p

Gold Member

So she could see the guy again.

4. Apr 28, 2004 #3
    Hmm. I don't see that the story as you told it gives any clues whatever. It doesn't even indicate if killing her sister was deliberate or accidental.

5. Apr 28, 2004 #4
    maybe she thought her sister slept with that guy, she phoned to her sister and instead hearing her voice she heard his voice.

6. Apr 28, 2004 #5

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thinking in extreme terms, she could have associated the intense feeling of falling in love with the traumatic experience of losing a dear one. To get back the associated feeling of comfort, she kills her sister.

7. Apr 28, 2004 #6
    the man was her sister's new boyfriend

8. Apr 28, 2004 #7
    To avenge her misfortune.
    there is seemingly insufficient data to determine why she killed her sister.

9. Apr 28, 2004 #8

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I believe that Jimmy is right. Look at the facts.

1) She met the man at her mother's funeral.

2) She does not know how to reach him.

If she kills another family member, it is likely that he will also attend the funeral, or at least that is what she hopes.

She was willing to kill her own sister in the hopes that he would show up as he had when her mother died.

The motive is obvious, killing her sister was the only way she could think of to be able to see him again.

Obviously you people are unable to think like a psychopath. :tongue:

Last edited: Apr 28, 2004
  10. Apr 29, 2004 #9
    what logic... :biggrin: :eek:

11. Apr 29, 2004 #10

ShawnD

Science Advisor

We've all heard that joke before. Jimmy got it.

12. Apr 29, 2004 #11
    Or use a search engine. :cool:

13. Apr 29, 2004 #12

Njorl

Science Advisor

It doesn't really test to see if you think like a psychopath though. Prefacing it by saying it is a test to see if you think like a psychopath ruins it.

The best way to do the test is to just tell the story, and stop before mentioning that she kills her sister. Then ask for easy ways to find the guy.

Njorl

14. Apr 29, 2004 #13
    The mystery man she fell in love with was her closet transvestite sister.

15. Apr 29, 2004 #14
    The Answer

The answer is: Because she was hoping the man would appear at her sister's funeral. If this was your answer as well... You think like a psycopath (no offence folks :rolleyes: ).

You are probably right about this. Unfortunately, this possibility did not occur to me :frown: .

16. Jul 24, 2005 #15
  17. Jul 24, 2005 #16

cronxeh

Gold Member

Thats what I actually thought for a reason - the guy attended her mother's funeral, so he was a family friend. Supposedly by taking out another close family member he would attend again

I dont know.. im not a psychopath but it sounds about right. Ohh.. the dark thoughts :devil:

18. Jul 24, 2005 #17

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

That's just silly. You can ask someone else who was at the funeral who the man was. I think she killed her older sister because that was the only thing getting in the way of her receiving a huge inheritance.

19. Jul 24, 2005 #18
    why does that make her a psycopath though? has this occured in her life more than once...eg killing an uncle if the sister didn't work? or perhaps not being able to talk to him at her sisters funeral resulted in teh killing of another....
    but one murder? how is that the thoughts of a psychopath?

20. Jul 24, 2005 #19
    Her killing her sister doesn't make her a psychopath, being a psychopath leads her to kill her sister. A psychopath isn't defined by the number of people she kills.

21. Jul 24, 2005 #20
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?