Can Interference Patterns be Observed with Sound Waves?

In summary, you don't want to use the equation from the double-slit experiment because you don't have interference due to waves emanating from two slits. You need to determine what the two path waves follow to go from S to M to get interference.
arkofnoah

Homework Statement

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/285/64902163.png

Homework Equations

[tex]\Delta x = \frac{\lambda L}{d}[/tex]
where delta x is the fringe separation
L is the distance from screen to signal source
d is the slit separation

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay you see I'm using the equation from the double-slit experiment (should I?) But I cannot draw an analogy between double-slit experiment and the situation here. Am I on the right track?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
No, you don't want to use that equation. You don't have interference due to waves emanating from two slits in this problem, so that formula doesn't apply.

You get maxima and minima because of waves interfering, and to get interference, you have to have two waves reaching M. So the first step is determining what the two path waves follow to go from S to M.

vela said:
No, you don't want to use that equation. You don't have interference due to waves emanating from two slits in this problem, so that formula doesn't apply.

You get maxima and minima because of waves interfering, and to get interference, you have to have two waves reaching M. So the first step is determining what the two path waves follow to go from S to M.

Okay, I suppose that there's a wave going from S to M directly and the wave reflected from the screen.

Actually I've been thinking along the line about treating the reflected wave as one emanating from a fictitious source situated behind the screen, symmetrical to S. Then the minima would be akin to having a dark fringe on M. That should work as well?

Yeah, that should work, I think.

Okay I need more help because I still cannot get the answer. (The supposedly correct answer is A by the way.)

Last edited:
One wave has to travel 12 cm to go from S to M. The other one travels a bit more because it reflects from the wall. Calculate the difference in path length for the two waves. If they differ by a half wavelength, you'll get destructive interference.

okay cool i got it thanks :D

Is no phase change at the wall?

ehild

during reflection the phase changes by 180°, but that should be quite irrelevant to solving this question since we're only interested in the overall path difference.

No, we are interested in the overall phase difference.

ehild

Good point. I totally forgot about the phase change at the screen.

I just wondered what happens if the screen is made from some elastic material?

ehild

Did you guys get the answer A?

Yes, if there is a pi phase change at the screen.

But that speaker should be a bat...

ehild

1. What is an interference question?

An interference question is a type of research question in which the researcher seeks to understand the relationship between two variables by examining the effect of one variable on the other. It is used to test cause-and-effect relationships and is often used in experimental studies.

2. How is an interference question different from a descriptive question?

An interference question differs from a descriptive question in that it seeks to understand the cause-and-effect relationship between variables, while a descriptive question only seeks to describe a phenomenon or relationship without making any causal claims.

3. What are some examples of interference questions?

Examples of interference questions include: Does exercise improve academic performance? Does exposure to violent media increase aggressive behavior? Does a high-protein diet lead to weight loss?

4. How do you design a study to answer an interference question?

To design a study to answer an interference question, you must identify the independent variable (the variable being manipulated) and the dependent variable (the variable being measured). You must also control for any potential confounding variables and use random assignment to ensure that participants are assigned to groups in a random and unbiased manner.

5. What are the limitations of an interference question?

One limitation of an interference question is that it can only establish a correlation between variables, not a causal relationship. Other factors that were not controlled for or measured could be responsible for the observed effects. Additionally, experimental studies may not always be feasible or ethical, limiting the ability to test interference questions in certain situations.