Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

An interrogation

1. Jul 19, 2016 #1
    Imagine you are walking along the street in the night. Suddenly you see several criminals which have gripped a woman, they are robbing her and going to rape her. The woman is screaming. The criminals are likely forearmed.
    What will you do

1) I will call the police, then wait for them and conduct them to the place. In this case the time will possibly be lost
    2) I will enter the fight and perhaps I will be killed or crippled.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2016 #2
    In my case, she got a high chance of being robbed and raped. But I will take pictures all the guys from behind for later use of them at the police stations. I will play hide and seek with them, probably make more noise to detract them from their currently intense sexual urge, separate them then try to kill one by one, etc.

4. Jul 19, 2016 #3
    As I am a petite woman, I couldn't do anything against a group of men.
    I would call the police. It depends on the circumstances if there was a place where I could make a video or take pictures of them from the distance where they couldn't see me. If there was no such a place to hide I would run away in fear.

5. Jul 19, 2016 #4
    Thanks. I forgot to say the question is for men

6. Jul 19, 2016 #5

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

What a disturbing thread :eek::rolleyes:

7. Jul 19, 2016 #6

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

This question seems to play into some of the common misconceptions about sexual assault. That's not to say that situations like the example listed don't ever occur, but in most cases of sexual assault there is a pre-existing relationship of some sort between the assailant(s) and the person who survives the assault. The nature of the narrative also plays into the idea of a woman "screaming" and while I'm sure that happens in some cases, it's the absence of consent that defines the crime as opposed to the presence of blatant struggling and resistance.

They would probably have some difficulty in the execution of their crimes without forearms.o0)

8. Jul 19, 2016 #7
    If there are several guys, possibly armed, it's unlikely I could help the victim by direct intervention. (unless I am James Bond and it's just a movie)
    I would probably try to alert anyone and everyone I could, nearby residents, people in shops etc, passing motorists, whatever, and at some stage the police.
    Gang rapes on the street involving weapons are not exactly commonplace though are they?
    Not even in Afghanistan or other such places where anarchy tends to be the law as far as I know.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  9. Jul 19, 2016 #8
    Call the police immediately. Then, from a safe distance, call to the attackers and let them know you called the police and they'll be there any second. Then use rootone's idea of trying to rouse a counterforce of nearby people.

10. Jul 19, 2016 #9

Fervent Freyja

Gold Member

I would have a difficult time stopping myself from intervening if my daughter weren't with me, even if there were a weapon (I keep a pistol in my car). I have a short-fuse for both bullies and cowards. I have intervened in physical altercations many times since childhood. There were too many times I needed someone to protect me from beatings. Nobody was ever there to stop it. So, I couldn't live with such cowardly behavior now that I can defend myself and others.

What if it were your daughter- would any of you intervene then? Or would you just wait for someone else to take care of it?

11. Jul 19, 2016 #10
    Somebody else would have to take care of it if I was already dead.
    I did once manage to stop some drunk teenagers from molesting each other on a bus though.
    It was easier than I thought, Just told them to stop being so frigging annoying and loud.

12. Jul 20, 2016 #11
    Thanks all.
    In old times almost each man knew that his first task was to save and to defend and he knew that it was better to be dead than to be coward. He knew what dignity was. In the present time the terrorists are ready to die for their mad ideas but almost all of us are not ready to jeopardize our lives for saving somebody.

13. Jul 20, 2016 #12
    Which old times is that?

14. Jul 20, 2016 #13
    till 30th-40th of the past century I guess

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
  15. Jul 20, 2016 #14

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Any reference for that since I find that hard to believe.

16. Jul 20, 2016 #15
    It's likely cultural differences and failed anger management.
    And thus people chain themselves with more stereotypical thoughts, many of which are eradicated in younger generations.

17. Jul 20, 2016 #16
    references for what? did not you know about heroism of ordinary civilians during World War II?for example
    Which stereotypical thoughts do you mean?

18. Jul 20, 2016 #17

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Sure. But you said "almost each man". Just saying that there was a big resistence movement proves nothing other than that there were some very brave individuals. Furthermore, you wouldn't know whether such a resistence movement would happen now or not since we're not in a world war.

19. Jul 20, 2016 #18

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Myself, I'm fond of the even older days, when each man knew he had to kill a dragon and save a princess.
    I can provide ironclad anecdotal evidence of that being true.

20. Jul 20, 2016 #19
    I said "almost each man knew". To know what you must do and to do that is not the same. But when everybody knows what good and evil are, then in the critical situation you will find a lot of people who follow their duty. And look at this thread: nobody believes that only the second possibility from my question is right.
    O, indeed? please recall me how many acts of terrorism do we have from the last two weeks ?

21. Jul 20, 2016 #20

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Why do you think the first possibility is good and the second is not? To be honest, if I see 10 strong guys harassing a woman, trying to stop them is foolish and egotistical. Calling the police is the only thing that will really save her.

That constitutes a world war now? Cool, whatever you like to use as definition, but I think that a few (very horrible) acts of terrorism doesn't really weight up to what happened in a world war.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted