Interrogation: What Should You Do in This Scenario?

• Thread starter wrobel
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a hypothetical scenario where a woman is being robbed and possibly raped by several armed criminals on the street at night. The suggested course of action includes calling the police, taking pictures or videos for evidence, and trying to seek help from nearby residents or motorists. Some participants also mention intervening directly, but others express concern for their own safety and the possibility of making the situation worse. The conversation also touches on societal expectations for men to protect and defend, as well as the idea of dignity and the willingness to risk one's life for others.
wrobel
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Imagine you are walking along the street in the night. Suddenly you see several criminals which have gripped a woman, they are robbing her and going to rape her. The woman is screaming. The criminals are likely forearmed.
What will you do

1) I will call the police, then wait for them and conduct them to the place. In this case the time will possibly be lost
2) I will enter the fight and perhaps I will be killed or crippled.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
wrobel said:
Imagine you are walking along the street in the night. Suddenly you see several criminals which have gripped a woman, they are robbing her and going to rape her. The woman is screaming. The criminals are likely forearmed.
What will you do

1) I will call the police, then wait for them and conduct them to the place. In this case the time will possibly be lost
2) I will enter the fight and perhaps I will be killed or crippled.
In my case, she got a high chance of being robbed and raped. But I will take pictures all the guys from behind for later use of them at the police stations. I will play hide and seek with them, probably make more noise to detract them from their currently intense sexual urge, separate them then try to kill one by one, etc.

As I am a petite woman, I couldn't do anything against a group of men.
I would call the police. It depends on the circumstances if there was a place where I could make a video or take pictures of them from the distance where they couldn't see me. If there was no such a place to hide I would run away in fear.

Thanks. I forgot to say the question is for men

What a disturbing thread :eek::rolleyes:

Likes Ryan_m_b
This question seems to play into some of the common misconceptions about sexual assault. That's not to say that situations like the example listed don't ever occur, but in most cases of sexual assault there is a pre-existing relationship of some sort between the assailant(s) and the person who survives the assault. The nature of the narrative also plays into the idea of a woman "screaming" and while I'm sure that happens in some cases, it's the absence of consent that defines the crime as opposed to the presence of blatant struggling and resistance.

wrobel said:
The criminals are likely forearmed.
They would probably have some difficulty in the execution of their crimes without forearms.o0)

Likes Ryan_m_b and Fervent Freyja
If there are several guys, possibly armed, it's unlikely I could help the victim by direct intervention. (unless I am James Bond and it's just a movie)
I would probably try to alert anyone and everyone I could, nearby residents, people in shops etc, passing motorists, whatever, and at some stage the police.
Gang rapes on the street involving weapons are not exactly commonplace though are they?
Not even in Afghanistan or other such places where anarchy tends to be the law as far as I know.

Last edited:
Call the police immediately. Then, from a safe distance, call to the attackers and let them know you called the police and they'll be there any second. Then use rootone's idea of trying to rouse a counterforce of nearby people.

Likes Ryan_m_b
I would have a difficult time stopping myself from intervening if my daughter weren't with me, even if there were a weapon (I keep a pistol in my car). I have a short-fuse for both bullies and cowards. I have intervened in physical altercations many times since childhood. There were too many times I needed someone to protect me from beatings. Nobody was ever there to stop it. So, I couldn't live with such cowardly behavior now that I can defend myself and others.

What if it were your daughter- would any of you intervene then? Or would you just wait for someone else to take care of it?

Likes OCR
Somebody else would have to take care of it if I was already dead.
I did once manage to stop some drunk teenagers from molesting each other on a bus though.
It was easier than I thought, Just told them to stop being so frigging annoying and loud.

Likes Pepper Mint and Fervent Freyja
Thanks all.
In old times almost each man knew that his first task was to save and to defend and he knew that it was better to be dead than to be coward. He knew what dignity was. In the present time the terrorists are ready to die for their mad ideas but almost all of us are not ready to jeopardize our lives for saving somebody.

wrobel said:
Thanks all.
In old times almost each man knew that his first task was to save and to defend and he knew that it was better to be dead than to be coward. He knew what dignity was. In the present time the terrorists are ready to die for their mad ideas but almost all of us are not ready to jeopardize our lives for saving somebody.
Which old times is that?

till 30th-40th of the past century I guess

Last edited:
wrobel said:
Thanks all.

Any reference for that since I find that hard to believe.

wrobel said:
Thanks all.
It's likely cultural differences and failed anger management.
wrobel said:
Thanks. I forgot to say the question is for men
And thus people chain themselves with more stereotypical thoughts, many of which are eradicated in younger generations.

Likes Ryan_m_b
micromass said:
Any reference for that since I find that hard to believe.
references for what? did not you know about heroism of ordinary civilians during World War II?for example
Pepper Mint said:
And thus people chain themselves with more stereotypical thoughts, many of which are eradicated in younger generations.
Which stereotypical thoughts do you mean?

wrobel said:
references for what? did not you know about heroism of ordinary civilians during World War II?for example

Sure. But you said "almost each man". Just saying that there was a big resistence movement proves nothing other than that there were some very brave individuals. Furthermore, you wouldn't know whether such a resistence movement would happen now or not since we're not in a world war.

Myself, I'm fond of the even older days, when each man knew he had to kill a dragon and save a princess.
I can provide ironclad anecdotal evidence of that being true.

Likes Ryan_m_b and russ_watters
micromass said:
But you said "almost each man".
I said "almost each man knew". To know what you must do and to do that is not the same. But when everybody knows what good and evil are, then in the critical situation you will find a lot of people who follow their duty. And look at this thread: nobody believes that only the second possibility from my question is right.
micromass said:
since we're not in a world war.
O, indeed? please recall me how many acts of terrorism do we have from the last two weeks ?

wrobel said:
I said "almost each man knew". To know what you must do and to do that is not the same. But when everybody knows what good and evil are, then in the critical situation you will find a lot of people who follow their duty. And look at this thread: nobody believes that only the first possibility from my question is right.

Why do you think the first possibility is good and the second is not? To be honest, if I see 10 strong guys harassing a woman, trying to stop them is foolish and egotistical. Calling the police is the only thing that will really save her.

O, indeed? please recall me how many acts of terrorism do we have from the last two weeks ?

That constitutes a world war now? Cool, whatever you like to use as definition, but I think that a few (very horrible) acts of terrorism doesn't really weight up to what happened in a world war.

And yean, people in the last world war really did know the difference between good and evil, didn't they? Hmmm... Holocaust, atomic bombing, dresden bombing,... Yep, sounds like people who know who to do good!

micromass said:
Why do you think the first possibility is good and the second is not?
I think 2) is good ( I have corrected the misprint).

micromass said:
To be honest, if I see 10 strong guys harassing a woman, trying to stop them is foolish and egotistical. Calling the police is the only thing that will really save her.
Ok. You have called the police what will you do next? At least what you consider you ought to do?

wrobel said:
I think 2) is good ( I corrected the misprint).Ok. You have called the police what will you do next?

I don't know. It depends on the situation. I can start bragging here how I would attack them or whatever. But I can't. It all depends on what happens at the moment itself. You know, some people freeze, some people flight, some people fight. I can't tell what I would do. The situation in a crisis is not something I control, and I won't pretend them.

I don't think a person is evil or bad though if he chooses not to attack the guys. I think you're mistaking bravery for goodness.

micromass said:
I don't know.
I do not know about myself too. But I believe the second variant is right.
micromass said:
I don't think a person is evil or bad
No I did not intend to blame anybody, I don't even know what I would do.

wrobel said:
I do not know about myself too. But I believe the second variant is right.

Is it? If I attack the guys and get injured or die, then who will take care of my children? Who will get money to pay for their food? Without me they'll be orphans and have nobody in this world. Do you still think the second variant is right?
What if I'm the only doctor in the village, and I die while attacking the guys? Then a lot of people in the village would die because I foolishly risked my life.

The scenario as in the OP is just simplistic. Right and wrong are way more complicated than this.

wrobel said:
Thanks all.
It sounds to me like in "the old times" you describe, people were stupid. And I'm saying this as a former member of the military, the entire point of which is to risk your life to save others.

wrobel said:
I think the problem here is that you made a bad comparison and fundamentally misunderstand how the military approaches fighting.

The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.

George S. Patton
http://mobile.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/g/georgespa102496.html

For he that fights and runs away,
May live to fight another day ;
Demosthenes

A quick Google finds some discussions of the idea suggesting that though not universal, the idea of a glorious death in war was common in the west up until about WWI, when people realized how stupid it was to consider dying of gas poisoning in a trench to be "glorious."

Preservation of troops was mainstream after that and after WWII and Vietnam, protection of everyone grew in favor. That's a lot of the reason why today western wars kill orders of magnitude fewer people than earlier wars.

Last edited:
russ_watters said:
It sounds to me like in "the old times" you describe, people were stupid. And I'm saying this as a former member of the military, the entire point of which is to risk your life to save others.
How do you find a line between cowardice and not-to-be-stupid?

wrobel said:
How you define a line between a stupid risk and a cowardice?
It's pretty straightforward: cowardice is an emotion leading to action taken or not taken due to fear. A stupid risk is an action that costs a lot and is likely to fail. There is no line between them because they are unrelated concepts. For example, playing the lottery is a stupid risk, but choosing not to play the lottery has nothing to do with cowardice.

I updated the question please see above

wrobel said:
I updated the question please see above
The answer stays the same: there is no line because the concepts are not related.

russ_watters said:
The answer stays the same: there is no line because the concepts are not related.
O no! they are related very much. Every coward justifies himself by argument that the risk was stupid and that he is saving his life for further battles. Everybody who was in army knows this.

wrobel said:
O no! they are related very much. Every coward justifies himself by argument that the risk was stupid and that he is saving his life for further battles. Everybody who was in army knows this.
That's being a coward and a liar. If you make a decision based on fear, that's cowardice, period. But that still doesn't make the issues logically related.

Also, note that for the military, the decisions are generally not even made by the person who fears the outcome. Some general or admiral does the risk calculation and decides what orders to give. Cowardice should not factor into the calculation because he is not personally at risk.

I'm sorry, but I don't see the point here. If I don't enter the fight, the woman will be harmed and I will feel bad. But if I do enter the fight, it is almost certain the woman and I will be harmed. So there is no objective benefit for me to enter the fight. The only reason for me to enter the fight is because it would make me feel good. So entering the fight is just a selfish desire not to feel bad, it has no actual benefits.

micromass said:
Why do you think the first possibility is good and the second is not? To be honest, if I see 10 strong guys harassing a woman, trying to stop them is foolish and egotistical. Calling the police is the only thing that will really save her.
That constitutes a world war now? Cool, whatever you like to use as definition, but I think that a few (very horrible) acts of terrorism doesn't really weight up to what happened in a world war.
I have to agree with micromass. What happens when you are in a war and what happens when there are isolated terrorist events are very different.

If you see a gang attacking someone and you are unarmed, the best thing you can do is call the police, perhaps video the action to help identify the culprits, and perhaps go to a safe location and make a distracting noise to let them know they have been seen. Otherwise, you will just be another victim, especially if they are armed. You do not know if they are on drugs, which makes them even more dangerous. It's sad, but true. You cannot fool yourself into thinking that you can intercede in a situation like this if you are unarmed and untrained and come out alive.

Likes Pepper Mint and davenn