An Introduction to Quantum Field Theory (Peskin and Schröder) - Page 22

In summary, the author writes that you can derive gradients of a function by using the normal ordering ":" and the vector operations of addition, multiplication, and subtraction. The author also writes that you can calculate the commutator by using the substitution a† p, which signifies the inclusion of antiparticles into the Hamiltonian. Finally, the author writes that you can derive the momentum of a particle by multiplying a conjugate momentum term of a function and another with a† p and x† p'.
Breo
Hello,

Can someone tell me how to derive:

$$ grad\hat{\phi} $$

$$ \hat{P}= -:\int \mathrm{d³}x [\pi (x) grad\hat{\phi}(x)]: = \int \mathrm{d³}p [p a⁺(p)a(p)] $$

Are all vectors. Note normal ordering ":" is used.

I want to understand well QFT and want to learn to do this calcs.

Thank you in before hand.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try doing it first without the normal ordering -- it's similar to their calculation of ##H## in eq(2.31). Actually, you should probably start by reproducing eq(2.31) in more detail than P+S provide. If you can do that, then eq(2.33) will become easier.

(If you need more help than this, you'll have to "show your attempt" -- similarly to the HW forums.)

BTW, the latex macro for the "grad" is \nabla, i.e., ##\nabla## .

strangerep said:
Try doing it first without the normal ordering -- it's similar to their calculation of HH in eq(2.31).

I already did it but I have a doubt. Why I must use: $$\mathcal{H} \ \alpha \ \hat{\pi}(x)\hat{\pi}(x') $$ instead $$ \hat{\pi}^2(x) $$ due to the hamiltonians form which is written (in my course notes) as follows:

$$ \mathcal{\hat{H}}=\frac{1}{2}\int d³x \hat{\pi}^2(x) + \phi(x)(\Delta + m²)\phi(x) $$ \phi is defined in two states and \pi in one to square power.

And why they made this change from (2.25) to (2.27):

$$ a⁺_p e^{-ipx} = a⁺_{-p}e^{ipx} $$

Last edited:
Breo said:
Why I must use: $$\mathcal{H} \ \alpha \ \hat{\pi}(x)\hat{\pi}(x') $$ [...]
I don't know what you're referring to.

$$ a⁺_p e^{-ipx} = a⁺_{-p}e^{ipx} $$
So they could factor out ##e^{ipx}## -- which makes it easier to evaluate the commutator (2.30).

strangerep said:

I mean he multiplies a conjugate momentum term of (p) and (x) times another with (p') and (x') instead the first square.

Because we are taking care of hermitians quantities?

Breo said:
I mean he multiplies a conjugate momentum term of (p) and (x) times another with (p') and (x') instead the first square.
[...]

If you're talking about something in Peskin & Schroeder, you must give a precise reference, otherwise I cannot help you.

If you're talking about some other notes, then I definitely cannot help you since I'm not familiar with those.

Breo said:

$$ a⁺\_p e^{-ipx} = a⁺_{-p}e^{ipx} $$

In addition to this answer

strangerep said:

So they could factor out ##e^{ipx}## -- which makes it easier to evaluate the commutator (2.30).

you should note that the operator a p is the creation operator, i.e, it creates new energy levels (as said in non-relativistic quantum mechanics) or new particles (as said in quantum field theory). The change that you mentioned physically means that creation of a particle moving in the negative x direction can be considered as creation of a particle with negative momentum.

Considering the four-vector notation, the negative sign for the momentum pμ indicates negative energy and negative sign for xμ indicates negative direction in time. So, in the later stages (once Dirac's equations are discussed), you'll probably understand that the said substitution also signifies the inclusion of antiparticles into the Hamiltonian (because, antiparticles are considered to move backwards in time (Feynman's approach) OR possesses negative energy (Dirac's approach))

I don't understand what is your question. The physical momentum operator is defined by:
[itex] P^i = \int d^3x T^{0i}[/itex]
Where [itex]T^{\mu \nu}[/itex] is the energy momentum tensor. The energy momentum tensor is obtained by applying the Noether's theorem on your lagrangian. That is already derived in P+S and used...
So [itex]P^i = - \int d^3 x ( \pi \partial_i \phi)[/itex]

You cannot derive the [itex]\partial_i \phi [/itex] from this for all I can see... the [itex]\partial_i \phi[/itex] is found by applying the derivative onto the solutions [itex]\phi[/itex] you found for the free scalar field after quantization:

[itex] \phi (x) =\int \frac{d^3 k}{(2 \pi)^3 \sqrt{2 \omega_\textbf{k}}} \big ( a_\textbf{k} + a_\textbf{-k}^{\dagger} \big ) e^{i \textbf{k} \cdot \textbf{x}}[/itex]

Also for your other question, aparart from the physical answer given by Vanamali, you can do it by hand:

[itex] \int \frac{d^3 k}{ (2 \pi )^3 \sqrt{\omega_k}} (a_k e^{ikx} + a_{k}^{\dagger} e^{-ikx})[/itex]

this is two integrals, I take only the 2nd and write it:

[itex] \int \frac{d^3 k}{ (2 \pi )^3 \sqrt{\omega_k}} a_{k}^{\dagger} e^{-ikx}[/itex]

Do a change [itex] k \rightarrow -k [/itex]. The [itex]\omega_k = \sqrt{m^2 + |k|^2} = \omega_{-k}[/itex] (doesn't change. The [itex]d^3k \rightarrow -d^3 k[/itex] and also the integration limits ar going to be interchanged...to bring them back to what they were before, they wll take the minus of the differential .. [itex]a_k^\dagger \rightarrow a_{-k}^\dagger[/itex] and the [itex] exp(-ikx) \rightarrow exp(ikx)[/itex]. The result will then be the one you ask for...
I think the best reason to explain why you do that is bcause it makes the whole algebras easier when multiplying fields...a field multiplication like: [itex]\phi \phi[/itex] would else have 4 exponentials, while now it will have only 2...

Hello, I also try to prove eq. 2.33 in page 22
by replacing phi(x) as you mentioned in
Pi=−∫d3x(π∂iϕ)

but i got struck with 4 term with a†a†, aa ,a†a, and aa†
I don't know how to go next to get rid off first 2 terms (because the last 2 terms can use the commutation relation to combine it as number operator)

How do i get rid of the "a†a† and aa" terms?

can you give the expression?

Here is the picture of my note (I wrote it in Thai but just see the equations)

you can see that the last equation has 4 terms with creation and annihilation operator

I have no idea how to eliminate a†a† and aa term I don't want to just ignore it.
IMG_20150416_025413.jpg

sorry for adding picture instead of typing them. I am quite new for writing LATEX. Thank you

upload_2015-4-16_3-8-9.png

in case the pic is not clear

Yup the expression seems correct...
Try to think about the last (your problematic) terms, what would happen if [itex] p \leftrightarrow -p [/itex]
Obviously the integral of those terms should vanish :smile: (if Peskin is right)

1. What is Quantum Field Theory?

Quantum Field Theory is a theoretical framework used to describe the behavior of subatomic particles and their interactions. It combines elements of quantum mechanics, which describes the behavior of particles at a microscopic level, and classical field theory, which describes the behavior of fields at a macroscopic level.

2. What makes Quantum Field Theory different from other theories?

Unlike classical field theory, which treats fields as continuous and unchanging, Quantum Field Theory takes into account the discrete nature of particles and the probabilistic nature of their interactions. It also allows for the creation and annihilation of particles, which is not possible in classical field theory.

3. Who developed Quantum Field Theory?

Quantum Field Theory was developed by a team of physicists in the 20th century, including Richard Feynman, Julian Schwinger, and Sin-Itiro Tomonaga. However, the foundations of this theory were laid by physicists such as Max Planck, Albert Einstein, and Niels Bohr in the early 20th century.

4. What are some applications of Quantum Field Theory?

Quantum Field Theory has been used to successfully predict and explain numerous phenomena in particle physics, such as the behavior of subatomic particles in high-energy collisions. It has also been applied in condensed matter physics, nuclear physics, and cosmology.

5. Is Quantum Field Theory a complete theory?

No, Quantum Field Theory is currently considered an incomplete theory as it does not fully incorporate the principles of gravity. This has led to ongoing efforts to develop a theory of quantum gravity, which would merge the principles of quantum mechanics and general relativity.