Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

An introductory course on RH.

1. May 19, 2010 #1
    Does someone know if there's a course offered on RH?

I mean reading the literature can be quite intimidating without some beckground before, I read somewhere that the prof from purdue (who allegedlly proved RH) was contemplating offering such a course, but didn't offer such a course.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2010 #2
    If you mean to say Riemann Hypothesis by 'RH' ,here's a good book:
    Prime Obsession (by J. Derbyshire).
  4. Jul 9, 2010 #3
    a phycisist approach to RH , is a bit simpler it use the approximate asymptotic formula

[tex] f^{-1} (x) = \sqrt (4\pi ) \frac{d^{-1/2}g(x)}{dx^{-1/2}} [/tex]

this formula is valid only for one spatial dimension (x,t) , so the conjectured WKB approximation for the inverse of the potential inside the Hamiltonian

[tex] -D^{2}+f(x) [/tex] with D meaning derivative respect to 'x' is

[tex] \pi f^{-1}(x) = \int_{0}^{x} \frac{g(t)dt}{(x-t)^{1/2}} [/tex]

with [tex] g(s)= (-i)^{1/2}\frac{ \xi ' (1/2+is)}{\xi(1/2+is)}+(i)^{1/2}\frac{ \xi ' (1/2-is)}{\xi(1/2-is)} [/tex]

since for RH [tex] g(s)= dN(s) [/tex] and [tex] N(E)= \frac{1}{\pi}Arg \xi(1/2+iE) [/tex]
  5. Jul 9, 2010 #4
    I think I would be interested in working on such a project although I think it would be better titled as the zeta function and approached through a strong foundation in Complex Analysis. I'm not an expert though.
  6. Jul 9, 2010 #5

One of my favorite papers on it, not sure if it's your level, but it's a fascinating look at the structure of zeta(s).
  7. Aug 9, 2010 #6
    I'll second this, just finishing it up actually.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?