1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

An inverse Laplace transform

1. Mar 9, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

.......find the inverse transform of the given function.

F(s)= (2s+2)/(s2+4s+5)

2. Relevant equations

On another page, I see these 2:

3. The attempt at a solution

This is my first time doing anything with Laplace transforms.

I can change the denominator to (s+2)2 + 1 and factor a -2 out of the numerator. Then it looks like the relevant equations.

But I don't understand where to go from here. The -2, of course, is just a constant that can chill out front. Judging from the answer in the back of the book, I use a combination of both relevant equations. Explain the algebra involved here.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2010 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, so a=(-2) and b=1, right? The numerator of the first expression is 1 and the second is s+2. Looks like you want to solve c*1+d*(s+2)=(2s+2) for c and d. Then multiply your first f(t) by c and the second f(t) by d.
  4. Mar 9, 2010 #3
    Let's slow down for a second.

I have (s-1/2)/((s+2)2+1).

That isn't in the form b/((s-a)2+b2) because the b's are inconsistent. If I make a=-2, and b=1, the denominator works out, but then the numerator doesn't.

It also isn't in the form (s-a)/((s-a)2+b2) because the a's are inconsistent. If I do the same, the numerator doesn't work out.

Explain this to me as if I was a 5-year-old.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/petoftheday/2008/04/large_thanks.bmp [Broken]
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  5. Mar 10, 2010 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, five year old. You got the a and b figured out. Multiply each of your t expressions by a separate constant. So the laplace transform of c*e^(-2t)*sin(t) is c*1/((s+2)^2+1) and the laplace transform of d*e^(-2t)*cos(t) is d*(s+2)/((s+2)^2+1). If you add those you get that the laplace transform of e^(-2t)*(c*sin(t)+d*cos(t)) is (c*1+d*(s+2))/((s+2)^1+1). Now you just have to figure out c and d so that (c*1+d*(s+2))=2*s+2.
  6. Mar 10, 2010 #5
    Got it!

Thanks, bro!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook