Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

An issue with time

1. Oct 26, 2011 #1
    Thanks for the interest, and second, I have an issue.
    Joining you from the general discussion, so please, be permissive.
    For general questions, usually, everyone tries to find information on wikipedia.org but on this one, I would rather wait for the answer here.

Is there any simplified or unified understanding of time?
    Any related links will be appreciated.

Is time regarded as a multidimensional constant?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2011 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

We have had numerous threads all over PF on "What is time?" Many of these threads have very unpleasant fate, which were either being locked, or completely deleted. This topic appears to attract way too many speculations and some time even outright crackpottery.

I would suggest you do a search first on all the various threads that are left on this very topic.

Zz.

4. Oct 26, 2011 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

What do you mean by "multidimensional constant"? I've never seen that term before.

5. Oct 26, 2011 #4
    I'm interested in time as the supporter of gravity, other supporter being the mass/space. Few people had a struggle for less than hundred years and now we have general understanding of mass/space. Let the struggle for understanding of time continue between more people.

6. Oct 26, 2011 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

For scientists/engineers, there really is no "struggle" with the understanding of time. Do you have a specific question? Please note: this is not a place for speculation about new theories.

No offense, but your posts look like gibberish. Not sure if that is a language issue.

7. Oct 31, 2011 #6
    None taken. I did not wanted to speculate nor to bring forth new theories. Found my answer, thanks for the positive criticism, I will try to improve my English : )

8. Oct 31, 2011 #7
    your answer lies in the "general theory of relativity" by Einstein. Time is in no sense different compared to the x-axis of space(just like the x-axis is no different than the y-axis, or the z-axis in exclusiveness/identity). The universe is a complex distorted 'spacetime'.

9. Oct 31, 2011 #8
    Time is just another spacial dimension, as I see it. We only perceive if as constantly moving forward because our consciousnesses are formed from differences in its topology over a span of coordinates. I equate its seeming seemlessness to the same forces that make multiple atom thick layers of a rock seem almost identical at a macroscopic scale.

10. Oct 31, 2011 #9

Nabeshin

Science Advisor

This is just plain wrong. If this were the case, we would live in a Euclidean universe devoid of all the rich physics of relativity. The fact that time is NOT like the other spatial dimensions, as exemplified by the lorentzian metric signature, is extraordinarily important. Often times when discussing relativity we praise the unification of space and time, but one cannot forget that the two are in fact distinct.

11. Nov 1, 2011 #10
    Is that just to make it easier to comprehend?

Do you have any recommended reading?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook