1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

An object sliding down a slope

1. Feb 16, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An object slides down a 30° angled slope with even velocity.
    The object is hit with a force such that its initial velocity is now 2,5m/s up the slope. How far does the object go before coming to a stop (I answered this, though) and how much of the kinetic energy becomes potential energy? Does the object slide back down? If so, why?

2. Relevant equations
    Work and force equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I can answer how far it went but I'm unsure on where to begin on the rest!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2014 #2
    For the first part, you want to consider how much kinetic energy it has to start (with the 2.5 m/s velocity), and then how far vertically it moves up the slope, which would contribute to gravitational potential energy. That would use the distance it travels along the slope in addition to the angle of the slope.

For the last part, you want to consider how the force of friction acting up the slope compares to the force of gravity, which acts down the slope. You know that by sliding down with constant velocity, the forces must be equal, so how do you think they will compare when the block is at rest?

4. Feb 16, 2014 #3
    Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted