Solving for Rate of Change of Speed: 128° & 6.68 m/s2

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving an object traveling along a curved path. At a specific instant, the angle between its velocity and acceleration vectors is 128 degrees, with an acceleration magnitude of 6.68 m/s2. The question asks for the object's rate of change of speed at that instant. Through trigonometry and understanding of circular motion and kinematics, the perpendicular component of the acceleration affects the direction of the velocity while the parallel component affects the magnitude. Using this knowledge, it is determined that the rate of change of speed is 4.11 m/s2. The direction of the acceleration, and therefore the force, determines if the change in velocity is positive or negative.
shiv604

Homework Statement

An object is traveling along a curved path. At a particular instant the angle between its velocity vector and its acceleration vector is 128 degrees. The magnitude of its acceleration vector is 6.68 m/s2.

At that instant, what is the particle's rate of change of speed? (in m/s2)

Pick one:

a. 6.68
b. -6.68
c. -4.11
d. 4.11
e. -5.26
f. 5.26

Homework Equations

I am not sure which equation to use. That is where I am stuck. No equation I can think of helps me.

The Attempt at a Solution

Created a triangle, one side is the acceleration, the other is velocity. They are bound by a 128° angle. Not sure how to carry on from this point; help needed.

Physics news on Phys.org

Don't worry about the equation - sketch the diagram.
Draw the two vectors.
Label the angle.
Continue the velocity with a dotted line.
resolve the acceleration against the velocity.

It's just trigonometry - but you have a bit of physics to do first.

The perpendicular component of the acceleration changes the ... what?
The parallel component changes the ...?

Hmm. Well I made a triangle, one side velocity, the other acceleration; which was bound by 128 degrees.
I'm stuck on what to do next with this triangle.
I have never seen a problem like this before. I have tried my class notes, my textbook, and google. I cannot seem to grasp what the question is getting at. :(

How to describe it ... put the x-axis along the velocity vector and get the x and y components of the acceleration.

The component along the y-axis changes the direction of the velocity.
(Like in "circular motion".)

The component along the x-axis changes the magnitude, the speed.
(Like in "kinematics".)

ok that makes sense!
I got 4.11 for x, and 5.26 for y.
I am confused on which one affects the rate of change.
Also once I do find which component affects the rate of change, would it be positive or negative?

ooooh 4.11

thanks a bunch!

Don't forget the units.

You now have two acceleration vectors - draw the arrows on your diagram.

You just need to realize that acceleration points in the same direction as force.
So the direction of the acceleration tells you the direction of the force.
You should be able to figure out which is which from that.

If the force would slow it down, then the change in velocity is negative.
If the force would speed it up, then the change in velocity is positive.

yes thank you simon!

No worries: now you have a fancy new tool :)

1. What is the formula for calculating rate of change of speed?

The formula for calculating rate of change of speed is: rate of change of speed = (final speed - initial speed)/time. This formula is used to determine how quickly an object's speed is changing over a given period of time.

2. What is the unit of measurement for rate of change of speed?

The unit of measurement for rate of change of speed is meters per second squared (m/s2). This unit is commonly used in physics to measure acceleration, which is the rate of change of speed over time.

3. How do I solve for rate of change of speed using the given information of 128° and 6.68 m/s2?

To solve for the rate of change of speed, you will need to convert the angle of 128° to radians and use the formula: rate of change of speed = (speed at angle * sin(angle))/time. Plug in the values of 128° and 6.68 m/s2 and solve for the rate of change of speed.

4. Can rate of change of speed be negative?

Yes, rate of change of speed can be negative. A negative rate of change of speed indicates that an object is slowing down, while a positive rate of change of speed indicates that an object is speeding up. This is because the final speed and initial speed have opposite signs in the formula.

5. How is rate of change of speed related to acceleration?

Rate of change of speed is directly related to acceleration. Acceleration is defined as the rate of change of an object's velocity, and since velocity is the rate of change of an object's speed, acceleration is also the rate of change of an object's speed. This means that the unit of measurement for acceleration (m/s2) is the same as the unit for rate of change of speed.