An observation: About Ufologists

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Observation
In summary, a conversation among UFO enthusiasts has revealed an interesting fact about human nature. Despite being passionate about discussing UFOs, disagreements often lead to cynical views towards each other. This behavior is seen in other areas as well, such as with ghost stories and politics. It seems that humans are naturally skeptical of unusual events and tend to dismiss new ideas without much thought. This can hinder progress in understanding these phenomena.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
A number of meetings with fellow UFO enthusiasts [academic types, not people wearing antennas] have brought to light an interesting fact about human nature. Even though each of has our own ideas about what's going on with UFOs, and even though we enjoy meeting and discussing the cases and recent papers, I have noticed that whenever we cross swords, we view each other with a cynical eye. To the point that we agree, we all smile and consider how uninformed or irrational the debunkers are. When we disagree, we all look at each other with great suspicion. :rofl: Its funny when you think about it, but perhaps UFO people are really no more open to new ideas than anyone else. New ideas are still met with automatic dismissals with hardly any thought given - the very same thing that we all get so annoyed with in skeptics and debunkers. I have seen it in myself and others.

The same thing happens with ghost stories. I know what Tsu and I experienced. I don't know what it was, but I know what happened. When I hear others telling similar stories, my gut reaction is, "ah, bull". It doesn't stick, but its there. Perhaps if it weren't for our experience I would still think it's all bull.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Intereseting observation, Ivan! I think the extrapolation to the wider phenomena of this being an all too human attribute merits much study, especially for those of us who decided to take seriously that old greek jingo: "Know thyself"! One can see this kind of behavoir in many areas and the posture of descrediting seems to be a prerogative in those ensuing battles. The sad part is that as a method for ascertaining the truth of something this seems to be quite counterproductive and instead of creating clarity this behavoir makes things very unclear. But such is the fact of being human!

HEY, D'YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THAT ALIEN BOY? :rofl: (just kidding ivan!)

It's just your inner scientist asserting itself. Humans by nature distrust reports of unusual events, and such doubts prove well founded in most cases. Perception is a tricky thing and can lead to conclusions that, while sincerely motivated, are just plain wrong. Blame it on the temple priests. Our ancient ancestors finally deduced that if tossing hapless peasants into the volcano pleased the gods, they would be tickled pink to get an occasional priest. The priests thereafter acquired a more liberal interpretation of sacrificial protocols - a few coins from your purse will do just fine in most cases.

Ivan Seeking said:
A number of meetings with fellow UFO enthusiasts [academic types, not people wearing antennas] have brought to light an interesting fact about human nature. Even though each of has our own ideas about what's going on with UFOs, and even though we enjoy meeting and discussing the cases and recent papers, I have noticed that whenever we cross swords, we view each other with a cynical eye. To the point that we agree, we all smile and consider how uninformed or irrational the debunkers are. When we disagree, we all look at each other with great suspicion. :rofl: Its funny when you think about it, but perhaps UFO people are really no more open to new ideas than anyone else. New ideas are still met with automatic dismissals with hardly any thought given - the very same thing that we all get so annoyed with in skeptics and debunkers. I have seen it in myself and others.

QUOTE]

I find that an interesting observation. I find that when talking to "UFOologists" and ask them questions, I end up being given logical errors.

When you ask the right questions, you will get logical errors from anyone :wink:

pack-rat said:
find that an interesting observation. I find that when talking to "UFOologists" and ask them questions, I end up being given logical errors.

I find the same is true of politics.

I am the first to admit that in addition to serious people like myself, the subject attracts all sorts. Also, who said that you were talking to a "Ufologist"; the guy with the antennas on his head? Probably more than most subjects, a good source is critical. Likewise, for every UFO nut, I'll bet that I can find a nut with a theory for physics.

Ask away... :smile:

1. What is a ufologist?

A ufologist is a person who studies unidentified flying objects (UFOs) and other phenomena related to potential extraterrestrial life.

2. What do ufologists do?

Ufologists conduct research, analyze evidence, and investigate reports of UFO sightings and encounters. They also often engage in discussions and debates about the possibility of extraterrestrial life and the implications of UFOs for humanity.

3. Are ufologists considered scientists?

This is a debated topic. Some ufologists have scientific backgrounds and approach the subject with a scientific mindset, while others may rely more on personal beliefs and anecdotal evidence. Overall, ufology is not recognized as a mainstream scientific field, but it does incorporate elements of science in its study of UFOs.

4. What evidence do ufologists use to support their claims?

Ufologists may use a variety of evidence, including eyewitness accounts, photographs and videos, radar data, and physical traces left behind by alleged UFOs. However, much of this evidence is often disputed and lacks scientific rigor.

5. Do ufologists believe in aliens?

Most ufologists do believe in the possibility of extraterrestrial life, but this belief varies among individuals. Some may believe that UFOs are evidence of advanced alien civilizations, while others may view them as natural or man-made phenomena. It is important to note that not all ufologists believe in aliens, and some may approach the subject purely from a scientific perspective.