Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

An odd question :rofl:

1. Sep 23, 2005 #1
    Is it possible to induct electricty out of a florescent light bulb???

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2005 #2
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx(fluorescent tube)xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx___________xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/-__________-\xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx /=/xxxxxxxxxxxx\=\xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxx(induction in------>xx|=|xxxxxxxxxxxxx|=|------->induction out)xxxxx
    xxxxxxx(coil to charge---^xxx\=\___________/=/xxxx(coil to reverse induct)x
    xxxxxxx(the fluorescent)xxxxxx\_____________/xxxx(flurescent tube.)xxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxx(tube.)xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

4. Sep 24, 2005 #3

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A nice idea, but I don't think anyone understands what you are asking. It appears that you misunderstand what "induction" means. Furthermore, flourescent tubes are not "charged." What, specifically, is the desired result of the scheme you are thinking of?

5. Sep 24, 2005 #4
    They are charged if you bring them in proximity of a tesla coil. In fact I think the so called pulse from a tesla coil would give the desired effect needed to make it work.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2005
  6. Sep 24, 2005 #5
    my research

modern day technology has given us induction lamps that work off the same principles as the modern day tranformer. what I am proposing is using a tesla coil as the primary coil on the induction lamp and than from a distance, feeding energy from the induction lamp with a secondary coil.

for more info on induction lamps goto:
    http://www.emsd.gov.hk/emsd/e_download/pee/Induction lamps at kbigh.pdf
    http://www.gelighting.com/eu/institute/firstlight/module07/01.html
    http://oikos.com/esb/36/Genura.html
    http://www.lamptech.co.uk/Spec Sheets/Osram Endura.htm

Attached Files:

7. Sep 24, 2005 #6

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I think it would probably work, but it wouldn't accomplish anything. Losses due to inefficiency in this scheme would make it use more electricity than just wiring the two lamps together.

8. Sep 24, 2005 #7
    so just use a biger tesla coil and pump more energy threw it. and also think of the energy that you loose to passing electricty therw power lines. last time i checked its alot.

9. Sep 24, 2005 #8

russ_watters

A bigger coil will likely lose the same fraction as a smaller one.
    For short lengths of wire, the losses are too small to measure. For the transmisson from the plant to your house (just an fyi, not relevant here), the loss averages about 7%. For a Tesla coil, I'd suspect you're going to lose 99%+. As I recall, they are an extrordinarily inefficient way to transmit power.

And just to be clear here, you do understand that transmission is all you're proposing here, right? You would not be recovering wasted energy or anything like that. Sucking power from the magnetic field around a light would increase the electrical consumption of that light.

10. Sep 26, 2005 #9
    the whole idea here is the create a massive magnetic field around the earth streaching from the north to south poles that is powered by a massive tesla coil. now the so called magnetic pulse from the tesla coil would charge the induction lamps in such a way that you could draw alternating current directly from the induction lamps allowing free power to incompase the globe allowing even people in the poorest of countrys to have free power regardless of distance or location. does that make more sense???

11. Sep 26, 2005 #10

russ_watters

It makes sense, but it isn't free power. Someone has to pay to generate it.

12. Sep 26, 2005 #11
    too true, but my whole little question is weather or not it would work on a large or even a small scale aka like in a house hold, or for an apartment complex.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?