An Ode to the City of Portland

Note that the Portland Jail Blazers are struggling for attendance. Didn't they just make some legal maneuver to prevent the loss of use of the Rose Garden?
Well, for it's pretty obvious why the lose attendance. I'm sure fans didn't appreciate it when Bonzi Wells flipped them the bird.

You guys have Shareef now. He has a much quieter attitude than Rasheed, and should do well in rebuilding the Blazers.

Anyways, it looks as if Portland is out of the running for the Expos...

Today the team is run by the other 29 clubs, waiting for new ownership, probably from either Washington or Northern Virginia

http://www.canada.com/sports/baseball/exposstory.html?id=24688bca-cdbd-4fca-b73c-af8de08340a8&page=2 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Chi Meson said:
Actually, it had a bit to do with that feeling you get when a local asks you where you are from.
You should have tried small town Oregon.

George Goble [comedian]: Have you ever felt that all the world's a black tuxedo and you're a brown pair of shoes?

In fact it got rather nasty for a very long time.

Of course if your ancestors didn't come over on the Mayflower, New England can be a difficult adjustment as well. :wink:

Last edited:
Chi Meson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Ivan Seeking said:
Of course if your ancestors didn't come over on the Mayflower, New England can be a difficult adjustment as well. :wink:
Well, I'm in Connecticut which has been considered, in recent years, to be an excellent place to leave.

Kerrie
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Chi Meson said:
I lived three years in Portland, in the northwest 21st st area, tucked right up into Forest Park. (about ten years ago). Out the door and into a 26 mile system of dirt trails through a rain forest, and all inside city limits! Take that, Central Park!

The longest ski season in the world is on Mount Hood; about 300 days of skiing a year, isn't it?
PS I have no idea why I returned to the Northeast. Must've been insane. Actually, it had a bit to do with that feeling you get when a local asks you where you are from.
Forest Park is the largest park in the country within city limits...also, that area (NW 21st street) is a super nice stretch in portland, had you owned property there now, you would have a nice investment...

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Chi Meson said:
Well, I'm in Connecticut which has been considered, in recent years, to be an excellent place to leave.
My cousin lived in Taxachussets for forty years but was still considered a newcomer when she passed a few years ago. :biggrin: I have spent quite a bit of time around Cape Cod and I really like that area before the summer crowds hit. Also, for some reason the people in Rhode Island are [on the average] the nicest people that I have ever worked with. Perhaps their openness and friendliness is what spawned P town?

Oregon investments?

Oregon has and will continue to grow for a long time to come. With the advent of global warming we are bound to be the next S. California. :biggrin: We're even starting to get some decent Mexican food up here!!!

Janitor
Science Advisor
Chi Meson said:
The longest ski season in the world is on Mount Hood; about 300 days of skiing a year, isn't it?
Not to cast a damper on this whole Portland thing, but is Mount Hood one of those volcanoes that is thought to still have eruption potential? Every now and then I hear that parts of the northwest are in jeopardy for lahars and such. Can't remember if Portland is one of them. Probably Portland is far enough away to be pretty safe...

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Nah, she's gonna blow towards the east.

http://volcano.und.nodak.edu/vwdocs/volc_images/north_america/mt_hood.html [Broken]

http://vulcan.wr.usgs.gov/Volcanoes/Hood/framework.html

Seattle is doomed by Mount Rainier though. In fact we have active or dormant volcanoes all along the western US. Mount Shasta and Mt Lassen in Northern Ca are also seismically active.

Here is an interestsing little tid bit that I picked up in a "History of the Biology of Oregon" class [an easy and fun 3 credits :biggrin:]

I think it was about 100,000 years ago that a volcano in North Eastern Oregon erupted and covered two thirds of the state with a six foot wall of lava, on the average, in two hours.

Oh, and we had three and four toed horses, and camels in Oregon at one time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kerrie
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
washington, oregon and california all have volcanoes, with mt rainier most likely to erupt-only a mere 60 miles to seattle...there is a lot of monitoring on all of these "active" ones to give enough warning of not to be near by...mt st helens gave a lot warning before it's huge eruption in 1980...

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Camels ?? :eek: Oh yeah, and Salem Lights too ! :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Speaking of Salem, :biggrin:

A funny comment on State politics: I was in the State Capitol complex on Wednesday. A fairly large group of people waiting for a delayed elevator started to talk a bit. It came to our attention that no one could remember the last Governers name!!!

Chi Meson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
My most significant memory of Living in Portland was experiencing the '93 earthquake. It woke us up, and it was funny: I knew it was an earthquake before the ground started to shake because first there is the sound which was exactly like it is in the movies!

The only significant damage was to the state capital building. Apparently the land was trying to shake the damned thing off its back!

Integral
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Sure we have a few volcanos.... but we don't hurricanes, or tornados.... Well, perhaps an occasional Pacific Typhoon. The fact is every place has its hazards. I would suggest that if volcano's or the possibility of a Richter 8 earthquake bother you that you not live in Oregon, If rain bothers you, don't live in Oregon...
There are getting to be way to many people that think this is a pretty good place to live... I would like to see most of them move back to California or Boston or where ever they came from. (present company excepted of course :)

Don't pay any attention to me.. I am just a grumpy old native!

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Integral said:
I would like to see most of them move back to California or Boston or where ever they came from. (present company excepted of course :)

Nah, I would have voted to close the borders the day I arrived. :biggrin: Besides I have marital rights. Tsu's family here goes back to the settlers.

Kerrie
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Integral said:
There are getting to be way to many people that think this is a pretty good place to live... I would like to see most of them move back to California or Boston or where ever they came from. (present company excepted of course :)

amen to that! i moved here in 1978, way before the california migration and hike in housing costs, so i like to consider myself somewhat of an oregonian (i was 5 years old)...i did hear that some of those who migrated here turned back because the cloudy days compared to california really had an affect on them, or maybe just wishful thinking... :biggrin:

my fiance moved here from the philly area 2-1/2 years ago, and raves about what a wonderful place it is here...i feel sorry for those who have roots in Bend unless they are selling property, apparantly it has topped Portland housing costs!