An Ode to the City of Portland

• Thread starter loseyourname
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ode
In summary, Portland is a great city with beautiful scenery and great air quality. The only downside is the difficult roads.
My most significant memory of Living in Portland was experiencing the '93 earthquake. It woke us up, and it was funny: I knew it was an earthquake before the ground started to shake because first there is the sound which was exactly like it is in the movies!

The only significant damage was to the state capital building. Apparently the land was trying to shake the damned thing off its back!

Physics news on Phys.org
Sure we have a few volcanos... but we don't hurricanes, or tornados... Well, perhaps an occasional Pacific Typhoon. The fact is every place has its hazards. I would suggest that if volcano's or the possibility of a Richter 8 earthquake bother you that you not live in Oregon, If rain bothers you, don't live in Oregon...
There are getting to be way to many people that think this is a pretty good place to live... I would like to see most of them move back to California or Boston or where ever they came from. (present company excepted of course :)

Don't pay any attention to me.. I am just a grumpy old native!

Integral said:
I would like to see most of them move back to California or Boston or where ever they came from. (present company excepted of course :)

Nah, I would have voted to close the borders the day I arrived. :biggrin: Besides I have marital rights. Tsu's family here goes back to the settlers.

Integral said:
There are getting to be way to many people that think this is a pretty good place to live... I would like to see most of them move back to California or Boston or where ever they came from. (present company excepted of course :)

amen to that! i moved here in 1978, way before the california migration and hike in housing costs, so i like to consider myself somewhat of an oregonian (i was 5 years old)...i did hear that some of those who migrated here turned back because the cloudy days compared to california really had an affect on them, or maybe just wishful thinking... :biggrin:

my fiance moved here from the philly area 2-1/2 years ago, and raves about what a wonderful place it is here...i feel sorry for those who have roots in Bend unless they are selling property, apparently it has topped Portland housing costs!