1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

An off center collision

1. Oct 31, 2004 #1
    A ball moving at 11 m/s makes an off-center elastic collision with another ball of equal mass that is initially at rest. The incoming ball is deflected at an angle of 30° from its original direction of motion. Find the velocity of each ball after the collision.

Ball moving initally at 11 m/s
    (a) magnitude m/s (moving ball)?
    (b) direction ° (from the original direction of motion)?

Ball initally at rest
    (c) magnitude m/s?
    (d) direction ° (from the original direction of motion)?

How do I start this problem? Someone in my recitation had a problem similar to this and used three equations with three unknowns. I think it was conservation of KE, conservation of momentum, and something else but i dont remember.

My book briefly talks about this, but there are no sample problems to work with.
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2004 #2
    You have three equations: One conservation of energy and two for conservation of momentum (1 for the x direction and 1 for the y direction). Use the components of the velocity in the x and y directions for the conservation of momentum in the x and y direction, respectively. For the conservation of energy you just use the magnitude of the velocities.

4. Nov 2, 2004 #3
    I'm having trouble setting up these equations. For conservation of energy, I have the initial KE, but final KE I don't know what the final kinetic energies of each ball is. I think the incoming ball is (1/2)m(11 m/s)^2*sin (30) but the final kinetic energy of the ball initially at rest I don't know what that is.
    For the conservation of momentum, the initial momentum's are easy to calculate, but the final momentums are what I don't know (in both the x and y components) I have a feeling these type of questions will be on the exam coming up on Thurs. so I want to be able to understand how to do them.
    Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?