1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

An omp amplifier problem

1. Mar 28, 2012 #1
    i am confused with this problem , part b :

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/1736/ampe.png [Broken]

my question is : Does Vsat reffer to the right amp or the whole circuit ? or something wrong with this problem ? thanks :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2012 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I don't think there is anything wrong with the problem.

What is that 2nd opamp doing? What is the name for the configuration it is in? What is its output in relation to its input? Does that help you answer your question about which stage saturates first?

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  4. Mar 28, 2012 #3
    it inverts the left hand amp ,, ( the inverting amp ) . Vo = -12 Vs .

my question was : part b says that " assume Vsat = gif.gif 12 " . Why not gif.gif 15 ? thanks

5. Mar 28, 2012 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

No, the 2nd stage is not an inverting stage. The first stage is inverting, but the second is not.

The saturation output voltage of most opamps is less than the power rails, so that's why the Vsat is listed as +/-12V when the rails are at +/-15V. You can get more expensive opamps that have close to rail-to-rail outputs, but the voltages given in this problem are common for general opamps.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook