Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

An open letter to dr. laura concerning homosexuality (i did not write it)

1. Jun 11, 2003 #1
    "The Bible contains six admonishments to homosexuals and 362
    admonishments to heterosexuals.
    That doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals. It's just that
    they need more supervision."

Dr. Laura Schlesinger is a US radio personality who dispenses advice
    to people who call in to her radio show. Recently, she said that, as
    an observant Orthodox Jew, homosexuality is an abomination according
    to Leviticus 18:22, and cannot be condoned under any circumstance. The
    following is an open letter to Dr. Laura penned by a US resident,
    which was posted on the Internet. It's funny, as well as
    informative.........

Dear Dr. Laura

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I
    have learned a great deal from your show, and try to share that
    knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend
    the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that
    Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate.

I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the other
    specific laws and how to follow them.

1. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a
    pleasing odor for the Lord - Lev.1:9. The problem is my neighbors.
    They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in
    Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair
    price for her?

3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in
    her period of menstrual cleanliness - Lev.15:19-24. The problem is,
    how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offence.

4. Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and
    female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend
    of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can
    you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

5. I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus
    35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated
    to kill him myself?

6. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an
    abomination - Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than
    homosexuality. I don.t agree. Can you settle this?

7. Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I
    have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading
    glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room
    here?

8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair
    around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev.
    19:27. How should they die?

9. I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes
    me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

10. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev. 19:19 by planting two
    different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing
    garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester
    blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really
    necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town
    together to stone them? - Lev.24:10-16. Couldn.t we just burn them to
    death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with
    their in-laws? (Lev.20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident
    you can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is
    eternal and unchanging.

Your devoted disciple and adoring fan,
    Jack

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2003 #2

megashawn

Science Advisor

Haha, thats pretty awesome.

You know, this reminds me that I heard on Fox that a gay pastor has been elected to the episcopalian (spelling) church.

Thought that was interesting.

4. Jun 12, 2003 #3

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

absolutely excellent, any word on laura's response?

5. Jun 12, 2003 #4
    Oh yeah. We're on a winner here with this homosexuality. How dare that God guy give us rules about how to live. What would he know?

6. Jun 12, 2003 #5
    I don't know what God knows, but supposedly you do. Isn't claiming the knowledge of God blasphemy?

7. Jun 12, 2003 #6
    I don't know everything that God knows, but I do know what he has told us in the Bible. He spells it out pretty clearly. I don't know if it's blasphemy or not but it's a big mistake to think you can decide what is right and wrong better than God. I've tried to explain here before that the reason we live in a screwed up world is to provide absolute proof that only God is qualified to decide what is right and wrong.
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=829

8. Jun 12, 2003 #7

megashawn

Science Advisor

Why not, instead of rehasing the same unprovable concept, simply disprove or argue againts the points made in that letter.

It applys not only to homosexuals, but life and freedom in general.

9. Jun 13, 2003 #8
    Ok fine. The answer is simple. The points made in the letter are irrelevant. The laws that God gave to ancient Israel through Moses no longer apply. We don't have to burn bulls, sell daughters into slavery, avoid working on the Sabbath or any of the other things mentioned in the letter, neither does God want us to do those things. Those laws were part of a covenant that God made with the nation of Israel, a covenant that was terminated at Pentecost, in the year 33.

We are now subject to the law of Christ. Jesus said that the whole law hangs on two commandments: "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind ... You shall love your neighbor as yourself" - Matthew 22:35-40. The law of Christ is not set out in the form of a code but the new testament does state many commands and decrees that we are obliged to obey among them a clear command regarding homosexuality:

"Likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust for one another, men with men committing what is shameful, and receiving in themselves the penalty of their error which was due." - Romans 1:27. see also 1 Corinthians 6:9-10

10. Jun 13, 2003 #9
    Very funny stuff. She so deserves it. Now go do the right thing. Isn't that special?

11. Jun 13, 2003 #10

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Laser Eyes -
    So the 10 commandments are obsolete too? I'm surprised to hear that since so many Christians cite them (as well as other passages from the Old Testament). Your response is interesting. Please check out my other topic about Christianity & the Old Testament.
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2892

aside: Note that Dr. Laura did refer to the Old Testament, so perhaps the O.T. response letter is fair enough. Perhaps you would say that both Dr. Laura & the letter-writer were on the wrong track?

12. Jun 13, 2003 #11
    The 10 commandments were a basic part of the law that God gave to Israel. Those commandments had equal force with about 600 other laws that were equally binding on Israelites. Like all the other laws the 10 commandments were part of the covenant between God and the nation of Israel. Indeed the 10 commandments were referred to as "the tablets of the covenant". That is why the ark in which the tablets were kept was called "the ark of the covenant".

We are not subject to the 10 commandments or the other laws that God gave to Israel any longer. But that is not to say that the ten commandments and the old laws have no relevance whatsoever. The 10 commandments and the rest of the Mosaic law reflect God's viewpoint of things and therefore should be studied but they do not have the force of a legal code that we are bound to follow. The old laws had "a shadow of the good things to come" meaning they would naturally lead to and reflect the law of Christ. The 10 commandments dealt with man's relationship to God and man's relationship with his brothers. When Jesus was asked which is the greatest commandment in the law, his answer that I have set out above epitomized the 10 commandments.

13. Jun 14, 2003 #12
    given all of what you said laser eyes... how can one argue that the 10 commandments condemn queer physical relations?

(by "queer" i mean "not exclusively heterosexual". i.e a male and a hermaphrodite, a female and a m to f transexual, etc. i do not mean "queer" in a derogatory manner)

14. Jun 14, 2003 #13
    Anyone who knows the 10 commandments knows that an express prohibition on homosexuality is not one of them. But it didn't need to be because it was covered by another law. As you pointed out above homosexuality was condemned by God as an abomination in the laws he gave to Israel at Leviticus 18:22 and also at 20:13. All of the 600 or so Mosaic laws were equally binding on the Israelites and had equal force with the 10 commandments.

The fact that once again we find homosexuality specifically prohibited in the Christian Greek Scriptures shows how important God regards it.

15. Jun 17, 2003 #14

megashawn

Science Advisor

Ok Laser eyes. You have a gay neighbor. Do you love him as you love yourself? From your general attitude, I'd guess no.

So does this mean you will be suffering in hell along with the Homosexuals simply because you don't like them?

And while you keep saying there is new laws that condemn homosexuality, you've yet to prove this. Perhaps you could point us towards a passage?

You see, people use the 10 commandments and Mosaic law to there liking, until someone points out "Hey, slavery is wrong, its illegal, etc, so, the ten commandments are irrelevant since jesus died for us". But then you drive down the road and see billboards like:

What part of "Thou shalt not" didn't you understand?

-God

So its like a double standard. Abide by the 10 commandments and ancient law, until it goes against society. Then, say its changed now, then still go by the pieces you like.

Its funny, its like Christianity is more customizable a Honda Civic. Change it to suit your needs for the day so that you can still sleep at night knowing if a sattelite smashes through your roof, you'll wake up in heaven.

16. Jun 17, 2003 #15

FZ+

There was a very interesting article in the Times today regarding this...
    Some snippage...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/printFriendly/0,,1-7-715998,00.html

17. Jun 17, 2003 #16

FZ+

And also:
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/printFriendly/0,,1-7-715997,00.html

18. Jun 18, 2003 #17
    well said FZ

19. Jun 18, 2003 #18
    I understand that this is a sensitive topic. But I have merely stated what God's law is. It's not my law, it's God's law. What I think is irrelevant.

There is no eternal suffering and there is no hell . That is a fiction created by Satan's empire of false religion to control and intimidate people. When you die that is the end of your life, period.

I did set out one relevant passage above but for your benefit here they are:

"Likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust for one another, men with men committing what is shameful, and receiving in themselves the penalty of their error which was due." - Romans 1:27

"Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators ... nor homosexuals ...will inherit the kingdom of God." - 1 Corinthians 6:9-10

"the law is not made for a righteous person, but ... for fornicators, for sodomites ... and if there is any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine" - 1 Timothy 1:9-10

"You shall not lie with a male as with a woman. It is an abomination." - Leviticus 18:22

"If a man lies with a male as he lies with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination. They shall surely be put to death. Their blood shall be upon them." - Leviticus 20:13

An important point I have made in my posts above is that the laws God gave to Israel no longer apply and do not have the force of a legal code that we must comply with. But the old testament scriptures are relevant because they show God's viewpoint of things and they help to confirm the proper interpretation of the new testament scriptures. Now, can anyone honestly read these passages and tell me that they are in any doubt about God's view of homosexuality?

20. Jun 18, 2003 #19

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The typical Christian response seems to be "Love the sinner, hate the sin."

As in everything in life, there are many interpretations and some of the conflicts you see may be coming from interpretations from different groups. There are many variations of the main religions. Also, a person's study of the subject can be in-depth and well thought out or, as is often seen in mainstream media like billboards, no deeper than bumper sticker philosophies.

21. Jun 18, 2003 #20

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Can you elaborate? Where is this viewpoint from? Doesn't seem to match the common Judeo-Christian or even Islamic beliefs.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?