1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

An optics phenomenon

1. Jun 15, 2009 #1
    I observed this 'phenomenon' while I was swimming...
    Here is the situation:

When I look at my watch (which is submerged), its glass surface acts like a plane mirror at certain angles (e.g. when I rotate my wrist/arm), causing the contents behind the glass become invisible.

Somehow all light coming (it seems) from that angle(s) are all those that are reflected off the surface!
    How can this be explained? :confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. Jun 15, 2009 #3

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

5. Jun 15, 2009 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The TIR probably occurs on the glass-air interface on the back of the watch glass.
    Glass is around 1.5-1.8 and water is 1.33 so you wouldn't get very much of an effect anyway.

ps. It was a bit lazy just to post the wiki link, but the OP can come back with more questions if they didn't understand.

6. Jun 15, 2009 #5

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

oh, so you're saying the light emanating from the watch dial is totally internally reflected *within the watch* and never makes it out. Result...can't see the watch dial?

7. Jun 15, 2009 #6

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If there is TIR (would depend on the angle) it will be between the back of the glass and the air inside the watch face.
    There will be a tiny bit of reflection glass-water on the way back out but small enough you wouldn't notice - water is close to being an ideal AR coating for glass.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook