Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

An unfortunate web site address?

1. Dec 26, 2012 #1

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

I did a double take this morning when I saw a TV commercial with a picture showing a thirty-something guy sitting on a couch surrounded by a bunch of smiling kids. Underneath it was the address "FoothillsPedo.com" in large letters, and then in slightly smaller letters, "Foothills Pediatric Dentistry."

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 26, 2012 #2

Evo

Oh my, that's almost worse than http://www.penisland.net/ (Pen Island - We specialize in wood)

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  4. Dec 26, 2012 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I'm afraid Pen Island is closed. More money to be had in selling the web name than in selling writing implements, I guess.

ExpertsExchange kept it open for a while, but seems to have also closed.

La Drape, a purveyor of fine bedspreads, is still open: http://www.ladrape.com/

5. Dec 26, 2012 #4

Evo

Ooops, that was the wrong URL. Pen Island is open (corrected link)

6. Dec 27, 2012 #5

Evo

Reminder, the topic is about innocent names that look wrong, not ones that were intentionally selected.

7. Dec 27, 2012 #6
    And according to their website, they are

8. Dec 27, 2012 #7
    Why isn't it FoothillsPedi?

9. Dec 27, 2012 #8

Borek

10. Dec 27, 2012 #9

Dembadon

Gold Member

We wouldn't want someone thinking they could get pedicures there, now would we?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  11. Dec 27, 2012 #10

Curious3141

Homework Helper

I'm pretty sure Pen Island was purposefully selected. How else would you explain double entendres like:

I remember the original site had something along the lines of "thick black pens squirting lots of ink". :rofl:

Either the most amazing (and unfortunate) coincidence - or a joke. :biggrin:

Either way, do check out the Uncyclopedia link on Pen Island: http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Pen_Island

One of those times Uncyclopedia rises head and shoulders (and other parts) above its staid cousin Wiki.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  12. Dec 27, 2012 #11

Evo

At least they don't say that they'll put lead in your pencil. (or do they?)

13. Dec 28, 2012 #12
    I once called directory information to get the number of a Dr. Penisi. She thought it was an obscene phone call and hung up on me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook