Anaerobic decomposing material

• Thread starter EskimoLolol
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Material
In summary, a computer scientist is looking for materials that self-decompose in anaerobic conditions. He does not know if anything like this exists, but if anyone has any pointers he would be grateful. Nuclear fuel?Anaerobic is not vacuum. Which is it... anaerobic or vacuum?
EskimoLolol
Dear all,

Does anyone of you know the name of some materials that self-decompose in anaerobic conditions (spontaneus decay possibly) in a reasonable time? I'm researching a possible application for this kind of things.

Thank you in advance,

Regards,

D.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Define "self-decompose".

I need something that, in anaerobic conditions, loses mass from its solid phase (i.e. turns into gas or is used by some sort of micro-organisms as nutrient) in a reasonable time:

basically I'd like my material to "vanish" after some time (again: in anaerobic vacuum conditions!)

I don't know if anything like this exists, but if anyone has some pointers I'd be grateful.

Nuclear fuel?

Anaerobic is not vacuum. Which is it... anaerobic or vacuum? Anaerobic decomposition can occur with any number of polymers such as cellulose (or rayon), aliphatic polyesters, aliphatic nylons and so forth. If nutrients are blended with these polymers, you have a head start on the process.
On the other hand, vacuum isn't compatible with life, anaerobic or otherwise.

I apologize in advance if I say something stupid and/or confusing, I'm a computer scientist, not an expert in the field, but I'm working in a team that still has to do its first meeting and I wanted to come with some ideas already :)

The "decomposition" is supposed to work in space (the human-made satellite orbits), so technically I think that vacuum is more of a precise description than anaerobic.

@chemisttree: You said that vacuum is not compatible with life, but I don't need my agents to live for a long time, just as much is required to consume my material: basically I want to bring a board of material in space in any desired stability condition, and once I put it "outside" my ship, it has to self-decompose in a matter of days possibly. Do you think this is possible?

@Schliere: could you elaborate your suggestion a little bit?

@All: Don't forget that you are talking to a dummy of the field :D Thanks in advance for your time and cooperation!

1. What is anaerobic decomposing material?

Anaerobic decomposing material refers to organic matter that breaks down in the absence of oxygen. This type of decomposition typically occurs in environments such as landfills, deep ocean sediments, and the digestive tracts of certain animals.

2. How does anaerobic decomposition differ from aerobic decomposition?

Aerobic decomposition requires oxygen, while anaerobic decomposition does not. This means that the types of microorganisms involved and the byproducts produced differ between the two processes. Anaerobic decomposition tends to produce more methane gas, while aerobic decomposition produces carbon dioxide.

3. What types of materials can undergo anaerobic decomposition?

Any organic material can undergo anaerobic decomposition, including plant matter, animal waste, and food scraps. Some materials, such as fats and oils, are more easily broken down in anaerobic conditions compared to aerobic conditions.

4. What are the potential benefits of anaerobic decomposition?

Anaerobic decomposition can help reduce the amount of organic waste that ends up in landfills, which in turn can reduce the production of methane gas. It can also be used to produce biogas, a renewable energy source, and nutrient-rich fertilizers.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to anaerobic decomposition?

One potential drawback of anaerobic decomposition is the production of methane gas, which is a potent greenhouse gas. Additionally, certain byproducts of anaerobic decomposition, such as hydrogen sulfide, can be harmful to human health and the environment if not properly managed.