Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anaerobic Respiration Related Question

1. Nov 16, 2004 #1
    Hello,

I’m new here and I have a few questions about anaerobic respiration.

Recently in Biology class we went over glycolysis using the fuel molecule glucose to understand and grasp what is happening in each stage. Generally after glycolysis is complete with glucose there is pyruvic acid, which goes in to Krebs cycle, etc. But in anaerobic respiration it only goes through glycolysis and then pyruvic acid goes directly to forming in some cases ethanol or lactic acid, etc. This interested me and this is the basis of my question. Say for example we have 2 fermentation test tubes with yeast cultures. One of the test tubes contains the monosaccharide glucose and the second test tube contains another monosaccharide ribose.

Would both test tubes create ethanol and carbon dioxide?

Thanks,
    Garret

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2004 #2

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ribose is usally not used as a carbon source. Ribose is mainly utilized by organism in the biosynthesis of nucleic acid precursors and nucleotide coenzymes. However, ribose can be used to produce glycose but the metabolism is slow. Also when grown in the presence of ribose, fermentation does not occur.

To answer your question, only the glucose will produce ethanol and carbon dioxide.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?