Finding a Perpendicular Line in Analytical Geometry

• Thread starter Odzy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometry
In summary, the homework statement states that a line through point M(-5,2,-1) and cuts the line: (x-1)/3 = y/5 = (z+2)/-2 at right angle (two lines are perpendicular) has a parametric form. The attempt at a solution uses the scalar product a*b = |a| *|b| * cos(a,b). If we call these lines p and q then p*q = 0.
Odzy

Homework Statement

Find the line that passes through point M(-5,2,-1) and cuts the line:
(x-1)/3 = y/5 = (z+2)/-2 at right angle (two lines are perpendicular)

Homework Equations

r = a + [tex]\lambda[/tex]b

The Attempt at a Solution

i used the scalar product a*b = |a| *|b| * cos(a,b) , but i don't seem to have enough knowns to solve the problem, or should i try something else

Also, if someone would like to give me a hint on understanding and approaching these problems
(i.e. lines and planes meeting each other... ) in most universal sense. I try to picture things but problem appears when something has to be written down. Can't see analogy of any kind.
Help please

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think it'll make your life easier to start from the parametric equations for the line, rather than the symmetric equation. Pick a parameter name and express the coordinates for points on that line in terms of that parameter.

You would now want to consider a vector from a general point on the line to some reference point (of your choosing) on that line and a second vector from that general point to the point M. What must be true about these two vectors? The answer to that question would let you solve for a value of the parameter which gives you a specific point on the line. The coordinates of that point and of M now give you the information you need to find the desired line.

ok, then I get x = 3t + 1
y = 5t
z = -2t - 2 --> parametric form

my other line should look like : (x+5)/a = (x-2)/b = (z+1)/c

Now, what do you mean by : from general point on the line to some ref. point??
Sorry, but it is just so abstract that I can't find the edge.

If we call these lines p and q than p*q = 0 should be fulfilled ?

He meant pick an arbitrary point on the line. Actually, I would be inclined to use the general (3t+1, 5t, -2t-2). Find the vector from M to that (the way I am doing it, it would depend on t). Find the scalar projection of that vector onto your line. The "shortest distance" is always measured along a line perpendicular to the given line. you want to find t so that the scalar projection is 0.

Thanks a lot.

Odzy said:
Thanks a lot.

I'll warn you, having worked this through, that the coordinates of the point on the line, which will be the second point on the line you seek, are not pretty, but they are at least rational...

1. What is analytical geometry?

Analytical geometry, also known as coordinate geometry, is a branch of mathematics that combines algebra and geometry. It involves the use of algebraic equations and geometric concepts to study and solve problems related to geometric shapes and their properties.

2. What are the basic concepts of analytical geometry?

The basic concepts of analytical geometry include points, lines, planes, distance, slope, and equations of lines and conic sections. These concepts are used to describe and solve problems related to geometric shapes and their position in a coordinate system.

3. How is analytical geometry used in real-life applications?

Analytical geometry has numerous real-life applications, such as in engineering, architecture, physics, and computer graphics. It is used to model and solve problems involving the motion of objects, design structures, and create 3D images and animations.

4. What are the different types of coordinate systems used in analytical geometry?

The most commonly used coordinate systems in analytical geometry are the Cartesian coordinate system, polar coordinate system, and spherical coordinate system. Each system has its own set of equations and is used to describe different types of geometric shapes.

5. How can I improve my analytical geometry problem-solving skills?

To improve your analytical geometry problem-solving skills, practice solving a variety of problems, understand the basic concepts and formulas, and familiarize yourself with different types of coordinate systems. It can also be helpful to work with a study group or seek guidance from a teacher or tutor.