Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Analog Multiplexing

1. Apr 7, 2010 #1
    Hi everyone,

I'm trying to take this circuit:

attachment.php?attachmentid=24963&stc=1&d=1270687004.png

and use an analog multiplexer to do the switching for me instead of the large, heavy, awkward, and expensive DPDT switches. Someone suggested a MAX4051 but I don't see how that could work, as I believe it is 8 to 1?

I want to switch all 6 channels at the same time with one SPST switch. Is a multiplexer appropriate for this, or should I be looking at something else?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2010 #2
  4. Apr 7, 2010 #3
    I'm not sure I understand it. This allows me to input 6 channels and choose three of those to output simultaneously, correct? I have to output to 6 channels simultaneously.

This is a more simplified version of the same circuit:
    SimpleAudioInterface.png

I found the MAX4948, but I don't know anybody who has them in stock and I have no idea how to wire it o_O
    http://datasheets.maxim-ic.com/en/ds/MAX4947-MAX4948.pdf

5. Apr 7, 2010 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

A SPST switch switches one input signal between two possible output channels (DEMUX), or two input channels into one output channel (MUX). So it's not applicable to a 6-channel system.

Do you want a 1:6 DEMUX or a 6:1 MUX function? Or do you just want to be able to drive 6 output channels simultaneously based on 1 input channel?

6. Apr 7, 2010 #5
    I was inferring that I want to be able to switch the box with a single switch that drives a circuit (i.e. a toggle switch), not run the signals through the switch itself. Sorry for the ambiguity.

Hmm. How do I explain? I can explain my real-world problem:

I have a 6 channel sound system connected to my PC that I want to share with my 2 channel PS3.

Hence, I am running 6 channels from my PC to the box.

I am running 2 channels from the PS3 DEMUXed to 6 channels (3 for left, 3 for right)

I am running 6 channels from the box to the amplifier.

I want to be able to switch between my PC and the PS3.

6 in from PC

"6" in from PS3

6 out to amplifier.

7. Apr 7, 2010 #6

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Just to clarify, there are 6 speakers, right? Those are the end customers of either 6 input audio channels, or 2 input audio channels? Relays would have higher audio quality compared to analog switches. Would you be okay using relays instead, controlled by one SPDT switch?

8. Apr 7, 2010 #7
    6 speakers - 5.1 surround sound system. You've got the idea.

Yes, I would be OK with that. And relays don't have to worry as much about negative voltage, do they?

9. Apr 8, 2010 #8
    Are you thinking I should put 3 DPDT relays in parallel instead of 3 DPDT switches and control the voltage with a simple on-off SPST toggle switch?

10. Apr 8, 2010 #9
  11. Apr 8, 2010 #10
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook