1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Analog Steel Plate Sound Synthesizer, cut plate shapes to make oscillators and filter

1. Aug 12, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hello there, I thought a fully analog , cutting vibrational shapes on steel plate and hit to each shape by fingers and produce whichever sine , square , triangle vibration you want and filter of those collections of vibrations by another steel cut shape and make a synthesizer .

Steel is stainless and 1 mm thick

everything is cut steel , works like percussion instrument.

2. Relevant equations
    I dont know how to invent shapes for to cut steel for desired vibrations and filters

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2017 #2
    I'd look at reed organs/instruments to get some ideas. A clarinet reed for example, produces a square wave. Filtering a square wave gives a triangle wave. A resonant cavity can filter that to a sine wave.

I'm not sure these waveforms can be produced with a finger providing the energy, but maybe you meant forming the metal by hand (with the fingers)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted