Are There Alternatives to Expensive Oscilloscopes for Signal Measurement?

• Thread starter Lasha
  • Start date
In summary, oscilloscopes are pretty expensive and I'm a high schools student,I don't think I'll get my hands on one of those.Are there any other ways to measure the signals(an graph it of course)?If you want to make measurements to show behaviour of a signal over short timescales, then I think an oscilloscope is probably the only way to go. What exactly do you want to do?I want to measure the Chua's circuit to detect a double scroll attractor.If the frequencies are low enough then you can use the soundcard in your computer - it has 2 channels of A/D at audio frequencies. You can find free software
Lasha
So oscilloscopes are pretty expensive and I'm a high schools student,I don't think I'll get my hands on one of those.Are there any other ways to measure the signals(an graph it of course)?

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you want to make measurements to show behaviour of a signal over short timescales, then I think an oscilloscope is probably the only way to go. What exactly do you want to do?

I want to measure the Chua's circuit to detect a double scroll attractor.

If the frequencies are low enough then you can use the soundcard in your computer - it has 2 channels of A/D at audio frequencies. You can find free software online for this (google soundcard oscilloscope).

jason

Likes 1 person
Have you heard of the Raspberry Pi, tiny computer, costs about 25 dollars? That combined with boxes such as this:

http://bitscope.com/pi/

They have an oscilloscope package that hooks to the Pi, cost is under $300.00.

That is a lot of money for a HS student for sure but maybe your professor can budget it in. It would help a lot of student activities, just use it with a laptop or tablet and you have instant oscilloscope.

I also found this kit for $60.00, a lot cheaper! Basic but should work well enough for your attractor prject:

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9484

As for USB scopes, what can't I do with one compared to something like the OWON 5032e? I really want to be able to measure inductance (with a known cap) and design/troubleshoot RF antennas.

owon 5032e on amazon

mishima said:
..... I really want to be able to measure inductance (with a known cap) and design/troubleshoot RF antennas.

that's pretty much a job for a network analyser rather than a normal o'scope

cheers
Dave

The main disadvantage of computer based oscilloscopes is portability.
Even laptops have to be booted up then a suitable program must be found and run.

Then there is the problem of bandwidth. A sound card might have a bandwidth of 20 KHz, so waveforms above 3 KHz may look more sinusoidal than they really are.

However, ANY kind of oscilloscope is vastly better than none at all. Try to get something if you can.

Antenna analysers are still a fairly rare item and features in them vary a lot.
Prices vary too, but a hunt on EBay brings up some interesting options.

Even very basic ones are really useful.
You can use one to test antennas and find resonant frequencies outside ham bands.

Note that they are used to match an antenna to a feedline, not to test the antenna's performance.

1. What is an oscilloscope?

An oscilloscope is a scientific instrument used to measure and display electrical signals. It is commonly used in electronics, telecommunications, and other fields to analyze and troubleshoot circuits.

2. How does an oscilloscope work?

An oscilloscope works by converting electrical signals into visual representations, typically in the form of a graph. It does this by using a cathode ray tube (CRT) or a digital display to show the voltage of the signal over time.

3. What are some common analogies used to explain oscilloscopes?

Analogies used to explain oscilloscopes often compare them to other tools or devices that measure and display information, such as thermometers or speedometers. It can also be compared to a camera, where the electrical signal is the light entering the lens and the oscilloscope is the film that captures and displays the image.

4. What are the main components of an oscilloscope?

The main components of an oscilloscope include the display screen, vertical and horizontal controls, trigger controls, and input channels. The display screen shows the visual representation of the electrical signal, while the controls allow for adjustments to the signal's amplitude, time scale, and triggering. The input channels are used to connect the oscilloscope to the circuit being measured.

5. What are some practical applications of oscilloscopes?

Oscilloscopes have a wide range of practical applications, including circuit analysis and troubleshooting, signal analysis in telecommunication systems, testing and debugging electronic equipment, and measuring the performance of electrical devices. They are also used in research and development, quality control, and education.