Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Analogous of vorticity

1. Jun 11, 2014 #1
    The quantity ##\vec{\omega} = \vec{\nabla} \times \vec{f}## is called vorticity and is the measure of the local circulation of the vector field ##\vec{f}##.

So, given the same vector field ##\vec{f}##, is possible measure the local flux by ##\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{f}##. This quantity has some special name?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2014 #2

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You mean other than "divergence"?

4. Jun 11, 2014 #3
    I'm thinking so-so like way:
    The curl operation results the vorticity, so the divergence operation results the ... ?

5. Jun 12, 2014 #4

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The divergence results in the...divergence...why would you need another word for it, when you have a perfectly good word already?

The "vorticity" you mention as a name is only valid for the curl of the velocity field of a fluid. A general curl is called a curl...

For a fluid, the divergence of the velocity would be sinks or sources I suppose. Sinks being negative divergence and sources being positive divergence.

6. Jun 12, 2014 #5
    "Vorticity" isn't just a name, is a quantity! Source and sink are just qualitative considerations, I'd want a physical quantity for the divergence of the velocity of a fluid.

7. Jun 12, 2014 #6

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

8. Jun 12, 2014 #7
    Incompressible is analogous of irrotational...

9. Jun 12, 2014 #8

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Tell you what, why don't you come up with a name for it, and tell us how useful this classification is, and maybe we'll all use it.

In the standard literature the terms WBN and I gave you are basically it.

10. Jun 13, 2014 #9
    Really! Mathematical quantities that haven't physical application isn't useful. But, how I like very much of math, always exist a theorical interetering for anything.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook