Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Analogy from the GRE

1. Jun 26, 2008 #1
    This is an analogy from the GRE (is this the best forum for this?). I knew what all the words meant but I still couldn't get it. :(

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 26, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2008 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Re: analogy

I would say the penultimate one: palatable is to savoury as discernible is to manifest.

I'm moving this to GD, since it is not (meant to be) a brain teaser.

4. Jun 26, 2008 #3

That is correct, but why?

5. Jun 26, 2008 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I agree. ( a little : a lot )

6. Jun 26, 2008 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'd go with satiable:hungry. Savory is a more extreme adjective than palatable, but both are similar. So you're looking for similar terms that are degrees of difference in meaning. Satiable is a more mild version of hungry.

7. Jun 26, 2008 #6

Yeah, I'd go with discernible:manifest or the first one.

8. Jun 26, 2008 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Beats me, I'd have gotten it wrong too but had the reasoning right apparently (see my attempt above).

9. Jun 26, 2008 #8

Palatable means "do-able" as far as I can tell, and savory means it's good.

Discernible means "you can tell" and "manifest" is like discernible+. You can really tell.

I don't know. English is vague and these people need to be shot, whoever makes these exams.

10. Jun 26, 2008 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is this really a GRE question, or some site claiming to do a test prep that might not be very good at writing these? There really seems to be more than one answer to me with these choices. I don't remember GRE choices being that ambiguous. More of it was figuring out what the darn words meant when they were ones you never used in every day speech...I don't think savory or hungry would have ever shown up as choices when I took it. I remember them being more about distinguishing the antonyms from synonyms and then different parts of speech, such as nouns from adjectives.

11. Jun 26, 2008 #10

This is from a practice test a downloaded from the GREs official website. I got a 630 on the practice verbal section. :(

12. Jun 26, 2008 #11

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Are you sure? I would say that satiable meant "capable of being satiated", which in turn means "capable of being given as much as one wants" (or some variant of that). Thus, whilst this would apply to hunger, it has a wider meaning.

Anyway, my reasoning for choosing the penultimate option was the same as berkeman's and MB's.

Do you guys get to do these things in exams? That's pretty cool, if so: I've not had to do things like this for over 10 years (and then the vocabulary they expected you to know was somewhat smaller!)

13. Jun 26, 2008 #12

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We all need to learn German people. That is the lesson learned from this. Lets go back to the old language :wink:

14. Jun 26, 2008 #13

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Pretty sure it's because of this:

The order and magnitude matter.

15. Jun 26, 2008 #14

Here is another one that threw me off.

Attached Files:

16. Jun 26, 2008 #15

ARG I HATE HATE HATE these STUPID kinds of questions. They dont test you on a damn thing important.

The education system needs to catch on and throw this stupid test in the trash.

17. Jun 26, 2008 #16

Yeah, I think the SAT has done that already. They threw out all the analogies (and antonyms I think) so that a large portion of the verbal section is reading comprehension and analysis. I wonder why the GRE didn't follow suit? I thought the SAT verbal was a really well-written test but judging from this practice test, I am not fond at all of the GRE verbal. They are both administered by ETS...

But anyway, I think some of these analogies are fun and that discussing them here is insightful e.g. the first one I posted.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2008
  18. Jun 26, 2008 #17

You know whats really insightful, using your time to study things that are useful. Not word analogies. College isnt about doing the NY times crossword puzzle.

Boy am I glad I never took the GRE. I think ETS has the college system by the balls, because I cant think of any other reason why schools use this...

19. Jun 27, 2008 #18

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This example is an especially good one of the problem with these standardized tests. When there's more than one answer that could be right, and your task is not whether you know vocabulary or parts of speech or can identify relationships between things, but rather how well you can get into the head of the test writer to figure out which is the BETTER of the two or more good answers. :yuck: It was never a test of knowledge so much as a test of how well you can identify the tricks the test writers throw at you. This is why I didn't study for the GRE. Studying doesn't help.

20. Jun 27, 2008 #19

Yeah, I think that is probably the rational thing to do. Unfortunately me and so many other test-takers are so scared of doing poorly that we can't help but pour our money and our time into practicing for the ETS tests. I told myself I wasn't going to waste any time or money studying for it when I first decided to take it a couple weeks ago. But as my test date approaches I get worried and yesterday I threw away that plan and decided to prepare for an hour a day and I even bought the Princeton Review book. I am so insecure. :(

21. Jun 27, 2008 #20

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'd have gone for vulgar : offensive for the last one. My language skills are poor however.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?