Analsis magnet, loretz force

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of accelerating He2+ and He+ ions towards a tandem accelerator, using a first analysis magnet to select only the He2+ ions for further acceleration. While the teacher's explanation suggests that the He2+ ions will have a larger radius due to their higher energy, the student's calculations show that the He+ ions will actually have a larger radius due to their larger charge. The student also notes that the non-relativistic equation supports this, showing that the higher the charge, the smaller the radius and the more the ion will be bent. The conversation also includes a correction to the equations used in the discussion.
malawi_glenn
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I have a source producing ions of He: He2+ and He+, they are accelerated towards a tandem accelerator, se atteched figure. They are accelerated with a voltage towards the first magnet, were a selection of the ions are made. We only want the He2+ ions the proceed to the tandem accelerator.

Show how this is done in the first analysis magnet.

answer according to my teacher:
the He2+ will get higher energy and therefore less bent, larger radius, then the He+ ions.

Homework Equations

and

The Attempt at a Solution

But according to this, I found that is the opposite, becase F= qvB and the bigger charge, the more force, and hence smaller radius.

[tex]|F| = qvB \Rightarrow r = \frac{mv}{qB}[/tex]

m and B is the (practically) same for all, I have He+ and He2+ ions. T is kinetical energy.

[tex]|F| = qvB \Rightarrow r = \frac{mv}{qB}[/tex][tex]r\propto \frac{v}{q} [/tex][tex]U=T=qV = mc^{2} \Rightarrow v=c\sqrt{1-\left( \frac{mc^{2}}{qV+mc^{2}}\right) ^{2}}}
[/tex]Ratio for radius of He2+ and He+ "r(2q)/r(q)"

gives me that He2+ has smaller radius than He+ if they are accelerated with the same potential V and is bent i same magnetiv field.

Non-relativistic gives me:

[tex]r\propto \frac{v}{q} [/tex] [tex]v=\sqrt{\frac{2qV}{m}} [/tex] [tex]r\propto \frac{\sqrt{\frac{2qV}{m}}}{q} = \frac{constant}{\sqrt{q}}[/tex]

LOL help =)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
And yeah, this last also show that the higher q, the smaller r, and the ion is more bent.

And the attachemt is here too.

Attachments

• tandem.JPG
    tandem.JPG
    10.8 KB · Views: 383
lol

should be:

[tex]|F| = qvB \Rightarrow r = \frac{mv}{qB}

r\propto \frac{v}{q} \\

U=T=qV = mc^{2}(\gamma -1) \Rightarrow v=c\sqrt{1-\left( \frac{mc^{2}}{qV+mc^{2}}\right) ^{2}}}
[/tex]

1. What is an "Analysis Magnet"?

An analysis magnet is a device used in scientific experiments to manipulate and measure the properties of charged particles, such as electrons or ions. It consists of a strong magnetic field that can be adjusted to control the direction and velocity of the particles.

2. How does a Lorentz force affect charged particles in an analysis magnet?

The Lorentz force is the force exerted on a charged particle when it moves through a magnetic field. In an analysis magnet, this force causes the particles to experience a curving motion, allowing scientists to study their trajectory and properties.

3. What types of experiments use analysis magnets?

Analysis magnets are commonly used in particle accelerators, mass spectrometers, and other scientific instruments that study the behavior of charged particles. They are also used in medical imaging technologies, such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).

4. How are analysis magnets made?

Analysis magnets are typically made from materials with strong magnetic properties, such as iron, cobalt, or nickel. They are designed and constructed by engineers and scientists using precise measurements and calculations to ensure the desired magnetic field strength and direction.

5. What are the benefits of using an analysis magnet in scientific research?

Analysis magnets allow scientists to study the properties of charged particles in a controlled environment, providing valuable insights into the fundamental building blocks of matter. They also play a crucial role in various medical and technological applications, such as in the development of new medicines and imaging techniques.